A Conversation for The Isle of Man

BBC guide to Ramsey, Isle of Man

Post 1

Minxyst

I was just browsing through your guide to the Isle of Man when I came across the comments relating to Ramsey, you mentioned that my town has little to offer the tourist and had basically seen better days.

Well, I can only presume that all the tourists you refer to only have an interest in SHOPS, I will admit that our main and only shopping street is dated and choice is limited, but that's just the shops, they don't make up Ramsey Town.

We have a great deal to offer the tourist (shopaholics apart), we have a beautiful harbour, with one of the oldest working swing bridges around. Mooragh Park is great for families, with a gorgeous man made lake with boats on in the summer, great cafes and play area for the kids. Long stretches of unspoilt beaches with tons of natural wildlife, full of peace and tranquility. Tons of secret undiscovered walks in and around Ramsey for the adventurous. We've also got loads of great little pubs and eating places, making it a bustling little town day and night in the summer months.

I resent my town being classed as " I wouldn't bother if I was you" when we clearly have so much to offer to those who can tear themselves away from the shops and see further.


BBC guide to Ramsey, Isle of Man

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Sorry, Minxist, if I gave a negative impression of your town. That is the way it struck me from my one visit there, and nobody stood up and defended the town until now. If you'd like to write a short paragraph on Ramsey, I'll get it added into the Entry.

smiley - smiley


BBC guide to Ramsey, Isle of Man

Post 3

Pimms

Apologies from me too Minxyst, as Gnomon had few Manx sources to create his entry from, and my information was limited. With the typical Manx outlook Ramsey seems a long way from Douglas.

Apart from the admittedly pleasant Mooragh Park and the Grove Museum Ramsey has few startling Unique Selling Points. Personally, I don't think the swing bridge is much of a draw for tourists (unlike, say, the Lady Isabella in Laxey), the harbour is similarly underwhelming, and the beaches an unappetisingly grey hue. I hear there is an excellent Health Food shop...
For a newspaper feature about Ramsey from 2005 see (nb pdf): http://www2.iomtoday.co.uk/pdfs/files/Ramsey%20Feature%20June%2005.pdf


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more