A Conversation for 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' - the TV Series

Upheavals

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Joss Whedon's been a busy little boy lately... smiley - biggrin (this posting dated 20th August 2001 - info from the US "TV Guide", WB and UPN websites.)

While "Angel" is staying on at Warner Brothers in the US, "Buffy" is moving to UPN (Paramount) and losing Giles as a regular character. Giles will instead move back to England to be the main character in a new spin-off which will be produced in conjunction with the BBC (!) called "Ripper", which will deal with depressing English ghost stories in a sort of "Poltergeist: The Legacy" vein. He'll still guest-appear on "Buffy", but only on the end of the telephone...

We live in "interesting times"! smiley - ok


Upheavals

Post 2

Peanut

And where are they going to film this new spin off, in Bath? Want to sign up as an extra if so. Peanut xx


Say it isn't so!

Post 3

WonderWoman

Losing GILES?! He'll be sorely missed if it's true! I really am quite fond of him. But now that Buffy has been brought back, won't be needed to care for her, or will Spike fill those shoes? I sure hope those two hook up one of these days! smiley - smiley


Say it isn't so!

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Giles and Spike? You're sick! smiley - bat


C'mon, now!

Post 5

WonderWoman

Don't be silly, I certainly didn't mean that I hoped for Giles and Spike to hook up! smiley - smiley Although, I suppose it would make almost as interesting episode as Buffy and Spike getting together. . . .


C'mon, now!

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I've been reading one of the more reliable "spoilers" sites, and they're almost done filming a truly epic musical episode... Oh, joy. smiley - silly


Tasteless comment

Post 7

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

It only just occured to me after the "Giles and Spike" comments... American fundamentalists made a big thing about Willow being a lesbian, yet oddly never passed comment on the fact that Buffy is TV's most popular necrophiliac... (re: relationship with "Angel" smiley - batsmiley - biggrin)


Tasteless comment

Post 8

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

Giles and Spike......yeah, I'd go with that. Hell, any one and Spike! That's one nice little vampire. Mainly in the attitude though, not the body, bit too skinny really. Have to say though, how did Xander cope with living with the guy. I'd have jumped him in the first five minutes!

smiley - vampire

FABT


Tasteless comment

Post 9

Aurora

smiley - wowYou mean other people like Spike? The (female) fans of Buffy at my school seem to be in love with Angel, I've never agreed... Do you know if Spike's accent is real, or is he American? (I don't know much about the new series, I watched the first one, but after that I forgot about it until I saw Spike a few weeks agosmiley - biggrin)


Tasteless comment

Post 10

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

James Marsters is actually American - is very strange to hear him speak in his natural accent.
And yes Spike mmmmmmmm
Angel is fit, but Spike mmmm


Tasteless comment

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

He did take a while to break the accent in though - for the first series or so he was in, everyone I knew referred to him as "Dick Van Spike"... smiley - bat


Tasteless comment

Post 12

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

He was given voice coaching from Anthony Stuart Head (Giles) according to one article I read. But did anyone notice that in the recent series 5 ep with lots of Spikes past in it his accent was distinctly higher class and actually quite accurate at points. A nice fan theory I have seen suggests that his wierd voice is actually a way of covering up that fact that he was such a toff because that would make it much harder to get a bad reputation going. And as we are increasingly seeing with Spike, image is everything

FABT



Tasteless comment

Post 13

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

Dont know what people see in Angel when he was on Buffy. Never went for his bod myself, too boring, not enough muscle. Guess it must have been the dark brooding and mysterious thing. Typical 13 year old girl fascination. (Send all flames here please, I'll use them to cook my dinner)

He does improve in Angel but only 'cos he actually gets to have his own lines.

It's a bit like everybody else on the planet finding Mulder attractive. I never could, much prefered Krychek.

FABT


Tasteless comment

Post 14

Peanut

Must be a fascination that we don't grow out of, cos we are alot older than that and still drooling over Angel, maybe thats a bit sad, no actually its very sad you would think that we would have learnt to fall for Riley. I speak for my friends there cos the brooding stuff doesn't do alot for me and I have always had these misgivings about Angel hooking up with Buffy and then clonking her on a hillside and then two of them drift off hand in hand wito a snowstorm, it was a good case for sending him into the hellmouth. I'm kind of fond of Spike though good for a night out and a cuppa, certainly while the chip is in place (be interesting when that comes out) and I confess that I have an episode marked 'Spike in his leathers' so occasionally there is a drool factor involved here but definatly a look don't touch thing, Buffy needs to tread carefully if the rumours are true.

Cordy and Angel though would be a good couple doesn't anyone think? Wash my mouth out with soap and water, but I think that they are very well suited.

Peanut xx smiley - peacesign


Tasteless comment

Post 15

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

Angel and Cordy, yep, gets my vote. They are actually friend and I think they understand each other a lot better that Angel and Buffy did, or Xander and Cordy.

Riley! Yuck! Pass me the pot while I yak

FABT


Tasteless comment

Post 16

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Cordy and Spike could lead to some interesting dialogue, as the two characters least disposed to "tact"... smiley - winkeye


Tasteless comment

Post 17

Peanut

Alot of peeps don't seem to like Riley, don't understand this, whats wrong with guy? I personally have an issue with the army thing given that I own a wooly hat and make banners out of pillow cases but he seems a really nice person, phoar when he gets his kit off, senstitive and loyal and planty of stamina in where the wild things are and passionate.

As I've said we are a bit older than 13 actually double that and you get close to the mark, lots of us with kids and all of us have had our fingers burnt rather seriously, yet the majority of us would choose to date the vampires and then shed tears and drink gin because it all goes hideously pear shaped. Then there is Riley absolutly everything that a woman/man could wish for in many ways and not one would go for him or Wesley or Giles, now one of me mates love her to death and all, would go for Xander but when he was doing his hyena bit. (Give up at this point and accept cycle that inevitably cummulate in tears and gin smiley - smiley) Its this massive contradiction between what we say that we want out of a relationship and what we are attracted to in a person/non person Seems very difficult to resolve even when you are aware of the contradiction.

Personally I feel that no one ever gave Riley a chance not that I've seen all of this season, the only person that really gave him a chance was Xander, but the Scoobie gang and Buffy particulary never let him in and probably it was their loss, and as a person they seem to let him down which is unusual for them.

That was long, been deprived of 'puter time for the last few weeks and am making up for lost time, sorry I'm gonna go now, Love Peanut xx smiley - peacesign


Tasteless comment

Post 18

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

A lady friend of mine just couldn't understand how, in the first series, all the guys she knew fancied Willow in preference to Buffy, Cordy, Harmony et. al. Her emigration to the island of Lesbos was a big disappointment to us all.

Personal fantasy storyline - a two-parter where Terra gets it on with Drusilla (smiley - yikessmiley - bat) and Willow turns back to men in disgust... 8)


Tasteless comment

Post 19

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Riley has his moments...
he's just so ordinary

now Giles or Wesley I probably would go for
...or Oz (still mourning his loss)


Tasteless comment

Post 20

Peanut

Ok Peet smiley - smiley but isn't life just like that?

I wish Riley was really so ordinary cos we don't have many Riley's round here, it can still be pretty prehistoric, (on both sides actually) but its probably all account of him being super human 'n' all, its starting to appeal to my sense of humour that a women was creating the ideal man and not just in the soldiering way and then found that womankind just wouldn't fancy him or she would have if she survived that long.

Love Peanut xx


Key: Complain about this post

Upheavals

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more