A Conversation for Owain Glyndwr (Owen Glendower)

The levity of the Welsh

Post 1

LL Waz

I recently vistited the ruins of Much Wenlock Abbey, near the Welsh border. A notice board put there by English Heritage (I think, might have been National Trust) said the Abbey had been ruined due to "the levity of the Welsh". They must be referring to the English/Welsh battles of Owen Glendower etc. but can anyone explain why they call this "levity"? Its been bugging me ever since. I cannot believe English Heritage would have the levity to make jokes on their information boards.


The levity of the Welsh

Post 2

Ceiriog

Perhaps they just had a big session there which ended, not atypically, in "Hey lads, I know, let's smash the place up!"
Other than that, no ideas, I'm afraid. Nice place though. Some friends of mine were in an open-air production of 'Midsummer's Night's Dream' at the castle, years ago. Not that that's relevant, or anything.


The levity of the Welsh

Post 3

LL Waz

Ahhh that sort of levity smiley - smiley

I think open-air productions are still done there. There was certainly one in Much Wenlock recently.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more