A Conversation for Man-made Satellites

engines

Post 1

Barry Bethel

Having just finished a module on space communications I found your article very useful in revising for the exam smiley - smiley.

The reason for having to use rockets to keep the satellite in a stable GSO is to compensate for the W-E drift caused by the elipticity of the Earth, which causes the satellite to move to the stable orbit positions at mumble degrees West and 105 degrees East.
N-S drift is caused by gravitational forces caused by the sun and moon.

That's what we were told anyway, I thought you might like to know.


engines

Post 2

Phil

Indeed, quite a nice overview of the GSO argument, shame most of the research these days is mostly doing something different. LEOs and microsats. What's the point in sending something the size of a car when you can do similar things (sometimes better) with a few TV sized devices. Shame Iridium went bust, they were trying to do something really inovative.
I wonder who's playing with all those sats whizzing about above us?


engines

Post 3

stragbasher

I was at Iridium's website a couple of days ago - apparently they've managed to raise somemore money and will be back soon.


engines

Post 4

Phil

Cool, I wouldn't like to think that the spooks had taken over the network (well they might have done but...)


engines

Post 5

A Man In Black

The biggest problem with Iridium (outside of it's messing up a lot of astronomy projects with its highly reflective satellites) is the cost of the transceivers: at $ 3,000 per phone (the last price I heard quoted, about a year ago), it will never be able to compete with regular cellular.

If the prices for units don't go down, and I mean substantially, then Iridium is only postponing the inevitable!

By the way, if Iridium goes bust, the idea is to deorbit the satellites into the drink...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more