A Conversation for The Development of the Western Alphabet

Runes

Post 1

And Introducing... A Leg

It's quite interesting, the secret influence the runes have had on our language.

Consider the TV series Dalziel and Pascoe. Dalziel is pronounced Dee-el. Equally, there's a British politician called Menzies Campbell -- Menzies being pronounced as something like 'Mengyies'

How can Z have picked up such an odd sound? The link has to be the 'rune' (not a true rune, it was an Anglo-Saxon invention) called yogh, which looked a bit like a 3 with the bottom as a tail -- in other words a joined-up Z.

Also, if you look at some old documents, you might find phrases like 'His fader surrenthered', meaning 'His father surrendered'. So how did the th and the d swap places?

The answer is eth, a rune that looked like a d, but which was crossed like a t if you see what I mean, and made the soft 'th' sound like in 'breath' (as opposed to the hard 'th' in 'that', which was thorn's job.) Actually, eth was probably a close relative of d as its capital was D with a line through the back.

I try to put runes into my writing whenever I can.


Runes

Post 2

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

subscribe


Runes

Post 3

bjoose

also pertaining to runes... The eldar futhark alphabet was originally 24 characters long, three sets of eight. A further eight, at least I think it was only eight, letters were introduced as a way of writing down foreign sounds that weren't originally part of their language. Just for anyone interested.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more