A Conversation for Bagels

Bagels in the Big Apple

Post 1

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

What about New York City? The overwhelming Jewish population has made the bagel a New Yorkism. It's the only breakfast you can eat while pushing through crowds, screaming profanities at the same time - smiley - smiley


Bagels in the Big Apple

Post 2

jqr

Here's my quick & easy NYC bagel directory: Columbia Bagels, 110th & Bway;
Bagels on the Square, Carmine St. & 6th Ave;
H&H, 80th & Bway;
and for those on mass transit, the Zaro's Bread Baskets in Penn Station and Grand Central make pretty good bagels.


Bagels in the Big Apple

Post 3

Daria

I love those bagel carts! smiley - smiley Nothing like getting a bagel with cream cheese (and they aren't skimpy with it!) and a small coffee for $1.25. They were my saviors a couple of years ago....


Bagels in the Big Apple

Post 4

jqr

Frankly, Daria, I agree with you about the carts. In my opinion, the cart coffee is exceptional, much better than coffee-bar joe (and a lot more reasonable, too). And certainly the cart guys are really friendly and provide the maximum level of customer service possible, a far cry from the fumble-thumbed clerks they have at bagel stores in other cities. My only reservation is that in the wintertime it's nicer to wait in line inside at a bakery or deli.


Bagels in the Big Apple

Post 5

Todaymueller

i can also recomend h & h on 80th and broadway , lovely , good coffee too .
every other bagel i tried in the usa last year was like eating foam rubber .


best fishes........todsmiley - spork


Bagels in the Big Apple

Post 6

rohdew

Most bagel shops in the city - even the best ones - have switched to making a softer, sweeter, bigger bagel. For a more traditional, old-style bagel, try Daniels Bagels on 3rd Ave about 36th street.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more