A Conversation for Golf

The Start of Golf

Post 1

Algy

I don't know why or how they invented the sport, but it was named Golf as an acronym for "Gentlemen only, Ladies forbidden." It used to be played only by the upper class twits who had no other way of getting away from the wife, and talking about business.


The Start of Golf

Post 2

Peta

Is this true? I didn't know that!


The Start of Golf

Post 3

Jimi X

I've never heard that either. I always thought it was some Scottish word. It sounds a bit Scottish and it was 'invented' in Scotland....


The Start of Golf

Post 4

Strider

In the US, golf's popularity is attributed to the fact that bowlers discovered you can drink and drive legally.

Jokes aside, golf is still an elitist activity. Requiring skill, yes, but don't call it a sport. I used to golf, was quite good as a youngster and was able to play competitively with adults. After the reality of life set in with family and other financial obligations, I can no longer justify playing golf. Here's the typical golf outing that I was privy to:

Greens fee to municipal course: $ 25
1/2 cart fee: $ 5
Liquid refreshments during: $ 5
Liquid refreshments after: $ 5
------
TOTAL $ 40

Now I don't know about everyone else, but I can't justify spending $40 each weekend for a round of 18. You know how much hamburger $40 can buy? You say, why play each weekend? Well, you can't improve as a player of this lovely game if you play only once a week. So, for me, I asked what's the point? I can take a peaceful walk in a nature preserve without any threat of me taking my walking stick or field glasses and throwing them in the pond out of frustration, (reference Twain's point).

So, any fiscally responsible provider, who is not independently wealthy, would have to give up the game to those who rightly can afford it. Therefore, golf is a finacially elitist activity.

Now to my real point. In most US cities the parks, ball fields, public places are supported by taxes without user fees. Little League Baseball, for example, doesn't have to pay an infield fee to use the diamond. Therefore, baseball is a sport that can be played by kids from all economic backgrounds. There should be no difference for municipally-operated golf courses. An innercity kid of 17 who wants to borrow a set of clubs and hop on the city front nine for a quick round shouldn't have to pay a thing. Private courses are another matter, of course. But public courses, operated by some form of municipality should not have access limited by economics. That's my biggest grief about golf.

Have a low-scoring day!
Strider


The Start of Golf

Post 5

Jimi X

All good points! I started playing in high school on the school team and got hooked. In the winter time golf is *extremely* affordable in Pennsylvania. You've just got to be able to swing a club in a heavy coat...
And I never ride, I prefer to walk the course (plus you can't drive a cart deep enough into the woods to find my ball!).

- X


The Start of Golf

Post 6

Strider

Is that a slice you're referring to? If so, do you notice the path the club head is following at the point of contact? If the path at the point of contact is not parallel with the toes, you might be causing a slice by directing the path slightly angled to your lead foot. Sometimes you can determine the club head's path by the swath through the grass after your stroke.

When, I'd slide, it was usually because I was trying to be a big hitter. That would adversely affect the club head's path.

If that's any help, then it was free!!!!!!!!!!!

Have an awesome day,
Strider


The Start of Golf

Post 7

Jimi X

I'll try that at the range, thanks! What I've done is angle my body away from where I want the ball to go and let the big hook take it where it should. (Though on No. 1 the clubhouse people always look at me like I'm nuts because I appear to be ready to tee off into the parking lot!)

- X


The Start of Golf

Post 8

Strider

Jimi:

You describe the most common "adjustment" to the big slice. You're right, it does look funny. Instead of playing the slice, try finding the cause and eleminate it altogether.

Happy putting!
Strider


The Start of Golf

Post 9

Jimi X

We've got a foot of snow on the ground at the mo, but I will pick up driver and give that a try after the big melt...


The Start of Golf

Post 10

Jes

I read in a book somewhere that the Dutch also claim invention of the game - don't know how true that is


Dutch Golf?...

Post 11

Algy

Considering I live in a somewhat prominently Dutch community,
and that we have three golf courses in and around the town...
I wouldn't be surprised.


Dutch Golf?...

Post 12

Algy

Considering I live in a somewhat prominently Dutch community,
and that we have three golf courses in and around the town...
I wouldn't be surprised.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more