A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

don't let the b...

Post 1

Vestboy

I'm enjoying this entry. However, I think you have said don't let the b******d (singular) grind you down. Isn't the plural illegitimi?
I've also seen noli illegitimi carborundum, which I think maybe slightly more "in the vernacular".


don't let the b...

Post 2

vocemmeamaudite

Salve amice!

The whole bit is bogus. words just wrong. such as illegitimi - NOT LATIN
Bastard = nothi pl nothis

Also carborundum ( or whatever ) not even close . It's a mineral ( cogito... )

An idea of your "quote " that would be more accurate ( if that's the word) would be:

Noli permittere nothis te terere. ( Don't allow the bastards to drag you in the soil ( mud ? )

My version...

Vale!!


don't let the b...

Post 3

Jawohl

Regarding your reply,

Noli permissum nothis frendo te accido? (Don't allow the bastards to grind you to ruin)


don't let the b...

Post 4

Binro the Heretic

The phrase "Illegitimi non carborundum" is a very well known mock-Latin one. It has been around for ages. It was used by General Joseph Stillwell during WWII http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/99480 and was later used by Barry Goldwater.

These phrases, whether 'real' Latin, 'mock' Latin, or whatever are simply good fun, and, if they are NOT genuine, they should be added in the same way as we add French, Latin and Greek to our own.


don't let the b...

Post 5

Vestboy

smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more