A Conversation for Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night

Pretty macabre stuff

Post 1

Dudemeister

I remember reading that Mr. Fawkes was pretty much a scapegoat in the conspiracy, and not solely to blame - He was so badly tortured and frightened, that he did not hesitate to sign his confession at the sight of the rack. He was hung, drawn and quartered - Hanging himself high enough to hopefully miss the agonies of the chopping block - being summarily disembowled and hacked into quarters. I would rather not think about what this must have been like, or even observing such a scene - it would prevent me from sleeping soundly.

Anyway, Bonfire Night - it's great fun for kids - A good way to get rid of those horrid corduroys by making them into Guy's trousers along with that shirt that should go too. And there aren't many other excuses for launching rockets in the UK without attracting too much attention.


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 2

Peta


It is really quite macabre isn't it? I heard that Guy Fawkes was set up. Maybe we should start a Guy Fawkes was innocent campaign!


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 3

timZwan

I was telling a Canadian friend about Guy Fawkes ands she though it was amazing that we celibrate by burning a replica corpse on a bonfire. I suppose it is a bit macabre if you think about it?


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 4

Dudemeister

I grew up with this 5th Nov. thing - burning Guy's - but eating away in the back of my mind is (.."psst.. He didn't do it"). And to top it off he suffered horribly as many convicted people did in those days. Perhaps, someone should mount a lawsuit on behalf of of the current survivors of the family just like in the US - We'll get a lawyer (maybe OJs?) and after 400 years, claim damages plus interest.

Or maybe not.


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 5

Bruce

Being something of a traditionalist I think you should go back to the original version & burn effigies of the Pope smiley - winkeye

;^)#


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 6

Taipan - Jack of Hearts


How about worshipping christ in the form of the guy being crucified? does this not strike you as macabre, that people go to a church and pray to an effigy of someone in what must have been an immensely painful moment?


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 7

Zed

I've always found that strange & praps it accounts for some of the stranger thing christians have done. But Islam breeds its share of violent fundamentalists also. Hmm, I'm glad I worship the chocolate brownie smiley - smiley

The Guy Fawkes plot was a religious thing rather than a political one as well, tho.

H&K
Z


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 8

Dudemeister

The crucifixion thing is pretty horrible too - probably one of the worst things you can do to someone. But thats recognised as part of the Christian worship - what Jesus had to put up with for the rest of us, so the story goes.

The Guy Fawkes bit is celebrated by burning an effigy and having a great time, without much regard for what it was all about, except some dude tried to blow up parliament, so lets burn him.

All over the world, people claiming various faith resort to violent fundamentalism, like setting fire to buildings full of the faithful and shooting at the police, for example.

Chocolate brownies can be altered too.


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 9

Peta

I have a theory that most Brits celebrating are actually on Guy Fawkes side. Blowing up parliament every now and again seems like a terribly good idea to me!


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 10

Zed

I don't think you're wrong there. (hmm, you're rarely wrong. Is it a talent?) Almost everybody forgets about the religious & getting caught bits and just thinks 'this guy tried to blow up parliament, what a great idea!, lets blow stuff to remind everybody how to do it!'

Well, thats my reason for blowing stuff up!

H&K
Z


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 11

Dudemeister

I might agree - fireworks and stuff where terribly exciting. Sort of leads the mind to think about really big ones - and what would have happened if all that gunpowder went off.

What about burning effigies of your favourite least-popular politician instead of this Guy guy?


Pretty macabre stuff

Post 12

Dudemeister

Blowing stuff up is great fun. We should adopt Guy Fawkes day in Canada. As it is we only have 1st July - Canada Day for blowing things up - It is a good date as the weather is always nice, and you can have barbeques outside, and an outdoor party watching things explode. Then we can always drive south to the US a few days later for their explosion fest.

Despite events such as the Montreal Int'l firewok competition and some others like the one at the Hull Casino in the Summer, we have a 11month gap in mot of country without excuses to blow stuff up.

November would be a nice break - although the weather is unpredictable - it could be +20oC or -20oC, raining, snowing, sunny or or just miserable.

Besides Canada has the Queen as head of state, why not use Guy Fawkes day too.


Key: Complain about this post