A Conversation for Pronouncing British Placenames

Pronouncing British Place Names: Ingleby Barwick

Post 1

Rosamund

Your on-line article on this subject makes the pronunciation of the suffix -wick very clear, yet BBC reporters now refer continually to the new town of Ingleby Barwick on Teesside using a phonic pronuniation of the suffix, including the w, rather than -ick as has always been the local pronunciation of the original hamlet of that name. They would not pronounce Berwick in this way. This is extremely annoying to those of us who have lived in the vicinity for decades and does nothing to enhance the reputation of BBC announcers and correspondants.


Pronouncing British Place Names: Ingleby Barwick

Post 2

Icy North

Hi Rosamund, and welcome to h2g2 smiley - smiley

Yes, I imagine it must make you feel as if you live in a forgotten part of the country. There's no excuse, is there?

Wick is one of those really difficult endings to guess if you don't know it - I think I mention Gatwick, Warwick and Hawick, which are all different. The BBC should know to check it.

I find the travel reports are better at pronouncing names - they must have them on their computer somewhere.

smiley - cheers Icy


Key: Complain about this post

Pronouncing British Place Names: Ingleby Barwick

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more