A Conversation for Talkers - Elusive Internet Chat Rooms

Ah, talkers

Post 1

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

Grim's isn't like a search engine that lists every talker in existence, only those that have been registered and that have their connection data up to date. For instance, it doesn't list my favourite haunt, MPFT - monty python's flying talker (shagg.net 2010).

I started out on the net on newsgroups, more precisely on alt.fan.monty-python, and was one of the first people invited onto afmpt, as the talker was originally called, late in 1995. Since almost everyone else on the talker were americans there were never anyone else around at the same time as me, so I visited a few others, and spent some time at Mars Base Alpha 4, but when afmpt started gaining momentum that's where I spent my time, even though I've made excurtions to plenty other talkers I've never really felt at home anywhere else.

Now that the original core all have grown up and have real lives it's a fairly desolate place, but it's still a place I hang out and occasionally meet an old friend.

Talkers have brought me possibly the most fun I've had. smiley - biggrin My first trip to the US, my second trip to the US, part of my third trip to the US. Hours upon hours of net.sex^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hchatting.

Oh, and I use the application GMud. An excellent talker client.

smiley - devil


Ah, talkers

Post 2

OwlofDoom

I'm discovering that lots of people around here are spods. Interesting that no-one had put a decent entry together before me (a very recent spod) then...

Why doesn't MPFT just register at grim's then?

~ smiley - towel


Ah, talkers

Post 3

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

My guess would be that it _is_ registered, but that the address is out of date. It wouldn't show me servers that had been dead for more than a hundred days so I can't be sure.

It's not like it's particularly inviting to newbies anyways. According to the stats it's had 313 logins since last reboot 22 days ago. That's 14 logins a day. And the maximum people on at once in that period was 6. And if a newbie lucks out and logs in while there is someone there, they might not be eager to chat with someone new, but rather just hanging out while doing other stuff, just in case some old friend happen by. Not me though, I'll be happy to talk to someone new, but then I'm hardly ever on anymore. smiley - biggrin

At one point we were affiliated with Eric Idle's Pythonline project, which gave us lots of free publicity. But the relationship went downhill when that project failed to show a profit and the people running the servers stopped caring whether or not we were up. Today the talker runs on a server connected to the creators cable modem. (Unless he's changed his hookup.)


Ah, talkers

Post 4

OwlofDoom

I'm taking a look now. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more