A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2016-12-06 Announcement: Digital afterlives, Douglas Adams and me | Robbie Stamp | TEDxLondonSalon

Post 1

h2g2 Operations

Not long ago, our Robbie held a TEDx talk in London, and we are pleased to announce that the talk is now available online at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1CUnfdQ2M&feature=youtu.be

It's a very personal talk, about the mind, about persistence of mind, loss, and being connected beyond life's end.

We hope you enjoy it!

Milla smiley - cogs for Ops

2016-12-06 Announcement: Digital afterlives, Douglas Adams and me | Robbie Stamp | TEDxLondonSalon

Post 2

Baron Grim

For those still sticking to Ripley skins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1CUnfdQ2M&feature=youtu.be

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Oh. Thanks!

smiley - towel

Post 4

You can call me TC

Gaah. "To loose a loved one" How COULD they?

Post 5

Baron Grim

smiley - facepalm

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Maybe there's a spelling demon on the lose. smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Baron Grim

Someone check to see if A1049979 is still in his cage.

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Has he ever been in his cage?

I seem to produce a heartbreakingly large number of typos every day. smiley - sadface

Post 9

Baron Grim

I think I'm chann3lling Titivilus.

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Ignore the typos. Robbie's talk is amazing. smiley - smiley

Post 11

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

True!

smiley - pirate

Post 12

You can call me TC

Yes, it's very moving. That was my first reaction on clicking on the link, that's all.

Post 13

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - wow
Milla,
Thank you for sharing that video. I'd never yet seen Robbie Stamp, though I'd seen Douglas Adams numerous times. In the video, Robbie conveys his heartfelt emotions surrounding the friendship he had with Douglas, and he recognizes the "ancestral" impact his presence makes on his progeny. It has given me pause to consider my own connections with family, in the past and right now, and gives me the impetus to share more regularly of myself. What more does any man or woman have to give, but their love and their memories?
smiley - tardis
We are -- each of us -- living time machines (as I recall Ray Bradbury once stating). We take our audience to places they may only partially remember, and to places only we have been and seen. We transport them into situations from which they can learn, we share the emotions we ourselves have felt and had to deal with, we watch their response to determine if there is indeed kinship in our thinking. We are the ones to demonstrate that our individual histories can be woven into a beautiful growing tapestry, a vibrant picture of all that mankind does and is capable of achieving.
smiley - oribsmiley - booksmiley - artist
B4iwaxeloquent&becomefamous4deepinsights

Post 14

Milla, h2g2 Operations

(I've actually met Robbie and shaken his hand...smiley - bigeyes)
smiley - towel

Post 15

smiley - cheerup
How about that! A (loo)brush with greatness...
smiley - laugh
B4someoneclampsdownonmysillypuns

Post 16

Douglas Adams asked for advice once. Well, suggestions more like. I gave. And he took smiley - smiley

Plus I have met and smiley - hug Milla several times - in four different countries no less - and even travelled with her. Beat that! smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 17

smiley - wow
Pierce, I believe you hold ALL the trump cards...
smiley - rofl
B4wehave2openabrandnewdeckjustsosomeoneelsegetsaturn

Post 18

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Now Pierce, I just need to know WHAT advice!
smiley - towel

Post 19

He was asking for a piece of smiley - musicalnote that would fit into a radio program he was working on.

Not a big deal, really, but of course it pleased me that he went with my suggestion smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 20

Researcher5

those are really interesting thoughts about memory and time...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more