A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 16th December - 2014 h2g2 Annual Meet

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

As 2013 draws to a close we’ve been looking back at the mini-meets of the last year, and the maxi-meet of 2012, and have started to plan a meet for 2014.

We’ve been asking in the forums why we attend meets, and what makes them good ones. And, what might we do to improve them. And from these thoughts and discussions, we’ve had a chat with a few people, researchers who are experts in their fields as well as some non-researcher experts, and have hatched a plan, dependent on interest, so on to the details!

WHERE: Manchester
Manchester has great transport links, is cheaper to stay in than London, and is central for all those who live outside of the capital (apparently there’s somewhere called ‘Scotland’ up north), plus there’s already several researchers based in the city who’ve agreed to do the leg work to organise it.

WHEN: June
The exact date hasn’t been confirmed, we’re looking towards the start of it as that fits in with the availability of those who’ve so far spoken up in the forums.

WHAT: LOTS!!!
After chatting in the forums, and twisting peoples arms offline, we're able to offer a more structured daytime event, don’t worry though, it’s not Forced Fun! There will be two Workshops on offer as well as two Guided Walks.

The first workshop will focus on how to improve your entry writing skills to take advantage of how search engines and social media work. The second workshop will focus on how to take, and edit photos for use in the Guide. There'll be more details on these when we know how many people are interested in them, and who, as they’ll be tailored to those attending. They’ll both be about an hour and a half to two hours long, one late morning, one early afternoon.

The first guided walk will be the Hidden Gems of Manchester, a walk around the city centre with the local Historic Environment Records Officer looking at buildings that you wouldn’t normally notice, such as a power station in the heart of one of the busiest areas that even the residents don’t know exists. The second walk will be hosted by the Greater Manchester Chief Archaeologist, and will highlight how Manchester has grown and changed from its Roman foundation through mediaeval times to the Industrial Revolution. These will both be about an hour long, again one late morning and one early afternoon. There is also a possibility of a third walk, which would see researchers packed off onto a train out to the moors with a map and directions if any want that.

All walks and workshops will be totally free (except for the train fare to get to the moors and back) and will run if there’s enough interest in them. The third option for the day, is to sit down in a nice quiet café-bar and have a chat, a chance to catch up face to face with those we normally only see in passing online as time zones overlap.

The evening will see us stay in the same bar, have a few drinks and the now legendary h2g2 Quiz, which I’ve been made to promise will be easier this year. There Will Be Prizes!!!

So, come one, come all, let us know what you think of the slight change in format with the addition of the workshops and guided walks, whether you’ll be able to attend the meet, and if so which, if any, workshops and walks you’d like to do!

Pastey

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

If I come, will I scare everyone else away?
smiley - towel

Post 3

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Not me, Milla! smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Post 4

Milla, h2g2 Operations

You're a brave pirate, you. smiley - pirate

smiley - towel

Post 5

Bluebottle

smiley - dohThe one month I've actually got plans for, what with wedding anniversary and London to Brighton bike ride...

<BB<

Post 6

Vip

June is a busy month for me but if I'm free, I'm sure I'll be there!

smiley - fairy

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Sounds like a good event, Pastey. I'm sorely tempted.

I'm glad you've decided to keep the traditional Guided Walks for the afternoon, as these are the parts I always enjoyed the most. Although I enjoy pubs, my bad hearing prevents me from joining in the conversation once the background noise reaches a particular level, which it tends to do in pubs.

I'm always game for a quiz, and even was on the winning team once! Despite my reputation for knowing lots of odd stuff, I don't normally do well at quizzes because I don't know the even stuff.

Hmm, I wonder what else I'm doing in June.

Post 8

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Tempted smiley - bigeyes Especially interested in the historical and archaeological walks. Just depends on how the chosen date corresponds to my nightshift rota. Good choice of venue though; for me the train from Edinburgh would not be too arduous and accommodation was cheap last time I stayed in the city smiley - smiley

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

A tentative "Yes" from me. Depends on a few things I can't predict. Which reminds me, I must buy a 2014 calendarsmiley - run

GB
smiley - xmaspudsmiley - hollysmiley - galaxy

Post 10

You can call me TC

I'd love to come, but am not sure what I would be able to attend, as that would depend on the connections and when I could actually be in Manchester. I have looked into flights before, and can't find much from my little corner of the earth. Trains from London to Manchester shouldn't be too hard to find, should they? Are they cheaper if I book well in advance?

For those of us faced with these questions, please try and fix the date by March, to give us three months' time for advance bookings. smiley - tasmiley - cheers

As you have two alternative workshops and two alternative walks on offer, looks like you'll have to draw up two alternative quizzes as well: one odd and one even. smiley - winkeye

Out of the workshops I would probably prefer the writing one, and of the two walks, I would plump for the historical one.

Post 11

Pastey

Both walks are historical smiley - winkeye But I know what you mean smiley - biggrin

Post 12

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Bring it on. I missed the last one due to poor judgement on my part, staying out late drinking the night before. By the time the evening's events started, I was still in bed! The mini-meet was great, though.
All the events sound interesting, although if it came to clashes, the photography one would be the event I would be most willing to miss.
TC, there are a couple of ways to get between London and Manchester by public transport. When I booked my tickets in the reverse direction (Manchester to London and back) for Christmas, it was about £17 each way (my tickets include travelling on from there, so I can't say precisely). I booked about 2 months in advance. When I looked 3 months in advance, the cheap tickets weren't on though; I gather they release a fixed number of them a certain time period before the date, so without the Xmas rush, you can probably get away with leaving it later. The trains go once every 20 minutes all day every day, so it's easy to pick a convenient time, and the journey takes about 2 hours 15 minutes these days.
The alternative is the coach. It is cheaper - I have heard of people getting return tickets for less than £10 - but takes quite a lot longer, goes less frequently so it's more difficult to pick a convenient time, and is IMO less comfortable.

Post 13

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Looking good.

The walks? Unfortunately I'd have to bow out of those, much as I'd like to attend but, as my walking speed is at least half that of other researchers, I'd slow the group too much, but am happy with visiting the Manchester museum again, or MOSI.

Both talks appeal, especially the photography one. I'm hoping to become a more active photographer next year.

Travel: The train from Kings X is fast and convenient, and with regular checking on the trainline.com website, can secure cheap fares.

There are two Ibis hotels in close proximity to the pub, assuming it will be The Font, being Princess Street, and Portland Street. The latter is closer to Piccadilly station, and Piccadilly Square.

Just hope I can afford it?

smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 14

Pastey

Was looking to change the pub I'm afraid, Font was just too noisy. smiley - erm

There's a Kro Bar at Piccadilly gardens that I'm looking at, as we should be able to use it as a base all day (and night!)

Post 15

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Dependant on money, time, and organisation here, but definately interested smiley - zen Walks sound interesting too... I an MMf could always form the slow walking section if I can make it smiley - laughsmiley - blushsmiley - seniorsmiley - diva

Post 16

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Damn.
The bus from Canada has been cancelled due to the threat
of U-boats off Greenland.
smiley - brrsmiley - island
~jwf~

Post 17

Recumbentman

Sounds tempting.

Post 18

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Looks like there will be a Magwitch sighting in late June then, can't decide on a walk or a workshop - will there be handouts (and homework)?

Post 19

Secretly Not Here Any More

Depends who gets roped into doing them, I guess.

Post 20

Pastey

I wonder who it was I convinced Mr603? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more