A Conversation for Games Room

Trivia Quiz

Post 1

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Okay, we start with an easy one: What was the name of mankind's first artificial satellite?

smiley - smiley

And no looking on the internet! That's cheating.

smiley - planetsmiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 2

bobstafford

Sputniksmiley - smiley

Trivia Quiz

Post 3

Yep. Your turn.

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 4

bobstafford

Who launched the first liquid-fuelled rocket?
When?
and where?

Bonus the first rocket to reach space was?

Trivia Quiz

Post 5

By "who," do you mean which nation?

I believe that would be Nazi Germany, in 1944, directed at London.

(Fortunately their nuclear program was much less impressive. That's what you get for kicking out all your best physicists, eh? Eh?) smiley - winkeye

Now, that being said, the first rocket to reach space was undoubtedly a Soviet rocket. But I don't know its annoyingly Russian name. And... I'm gonna' say... 1961, this was. 1958 at the earliest.

smiley - galaxysmiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 6

Deek

Dr Robert Goddard in 1925 from USA

Depends on what you mean by 'space''.
The first over 50 miles altitude, which was were space started in 1946, was a WAC Corporal second stage using a V2 as a booster. The device was code named Bumper.

Also as a bit of trivia the cine film from one of the Bumper flights was used in the opening credits of the original Quatermass Experiment televised on BBC in about 1953 ish, making it one of the first times the general public viewed the Earth's curvature.

Trivia Quiz

Post 7

bobstafford

Well done smiley - applause

Goddard the USA and the V2 (As an aside which US State did Goddard launch from)

Over to you

Trivia Quiz

Post 8

Deek

I believe Goddard launched his early test rockets from his aunt's farm in Massetutets.

Okay... Keeping on a space theme.
Which was the name of the only spacecraft that NASA 'lost', and what was the name of its crew-member.

And as a bonus, which part of the spacecraft featured tragically in the life and death of the crew.

Trivia Quiz

Post 9

Define "lost."

I mean, Apollo 1 burned on the launchpad, and Challenger exploded... but that's two, not one, and I'm pretty sure none were ever lost in space.... smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 10

bobstafford

Massetutets yes smiley - ok

Trivia Quiz

Post 11

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb? smiley - winkeye

Trivia Quiz

Post 12

Hey, wait, we're still on another one though.

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 13

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

[I wasn't serious. Anyway it looked as if you were never going to get off the topic of aerospace history. smiley - erm]

Trivia Quiz

Post 14

Deek

Admitted that Lost is a moot point but 'Lost' in the sense that NASA could not retrieve the spacecraft after the mission and didn't know precisely where it was. (Although they new the general area.) in the cases of Apollo 1, Columbia and Challenger, their whereabouts were known and all were able to be retrieved after the disasters. The spacecraft in question was not retreived until many years later.
Apollo 1 does figure in this story but it isn't the subject of the question.

Trivia Quiz

Post 15

bobstafford

No problem paulh

the answer is no one is"buried" in Grants Tomb it is a mausoleumsmiley - ok

Trivia Quiz

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

The spaceship that NASA lost was Apollo 11, the one that landed on the moon. All the time that Armstrong and Aldrin were on the moon, Mission Control couldn't figure out exactly where they were. It was only years later they found the Lunar Lander.

Trivia Quiz

Post 17

Deek

Although it's true to say Apollo 11's exact landing spot wasn't established until a few hours after landing it wasn't counted as 'lost'. It was after all within the proposed landing area and it had a fully functioning crew aboard. It's position was established by MC from the lander's ground radar data within hours and before they lifted off on the return. It was subsequently confirmed by a return signal from the laser reflector experiment.

Strictly speaking it's only the Command Module which is 'Apollo 11' and the LM was considered to only be disposable equipment. The descent stage of the LM remains at Tranquillity Base to this day. The ascent stage was left in orbit with all systems running and the electronic cooling switched off to see how long it would last. It eventually crashed into the moon's surface at an unknown place and time As you say it wasn't found until many years later but it completed its usefulness and became only disposable junk.

Trivia Quiz

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

I read that because Apollo 11 didn't land at the planned landing site (Armstrong steered the lander to a better site when he saw the llanned one was too rocky) they still hadn't located the landing site by the time they left it.

Trivia Quiz

Post 19

Sounds like it's Gnomon's turn.

smiley - pirate

Trivia Quiz

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

Nah. 27380 set the question so they decide when it's answrred correctly.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more