A Conversation for Games Room

Acronymity

Post 1

You can call me TC

I very rarely venture into the games room here, but 2legs has just given me an idea.

Acronyms are always great for playing with. He said his jeans were marked NYC, which he interprets as "Not Your Clothing".

You get the idea. Player A thinks of an acronym, and Player B comes along with an explanation for what the letters stand for. He thinks up a new one and Player C makes up a new meaning for it and leaves a new one for player D.

Before we start, we need to define an acronym and the difference between an acronym and an abbreviation. It is best described here: http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/acronymterm.htm

>>acronyms are proper words created from the initial letter or two of the words in a phrase, and they are pronounced like other words (cf. snafu, radar, laser, or UNESCO). By contrast, abbreviations do not form proper words, and so they are pronounced as strings of letters, for example, S.O.B., IOU, U.S.A., MP, lp, or tv."<<

- note: the link also contains a reference to our very own Douglas Adams

Rules
1. For the purpose of this game, Acronyms can either be a real word (HEAD) - which would be a backronym - or an existing acronym - a pronouncable abbreviation - e.g. NASDAQ
2. Acronyms of between 3 and 10 letters
3. Extra points for fitting the meaning to the acronym itself.
4. House rules apply.

That's far too many rules. Never mind. No one takes any notice of them anyway.

Each post in the thread (except this first one) will therefore consist of

a. One or more re-interpretations of the acronym mentioned in the previous post -
b. A new acronym to play with.

Oh dear - I'm hopeless at explaining this. Maybe I should just get on with it.

So here's one to kick off with.

BAFTA

Acronymity

Post 2

KB

Bleedin' Attenborough Films Take All!

COBRA

Acronymity

Post 3

Icy North

Classified Observations Between Rear Admirals

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more