A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

SEx: Looking for opinions on this website...

Post 1

Whisky

http://www.stemtechbiz.co.uk/Home.aspx

I don't want to commment much more to avoid influencing opinions - but I'd be interested to know what the h2g2 scientific community think...

Post 2

Orcus

How polite would like us to be?

Post 3

Whisky

Not very smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Orcus

Well I think my answer is that it comes in huge piles usually from the rear end of an equine species.

Or alternatively it might rhyme with rollocks.

Load of tosh in my opinion. You can't eat cells and expect them to do anything except get digested. Especially not mammalian ones that have no protection from digestive juices - bacteria can (occasionally) survive the gut but they have cell WALLS that are very robust- mammalian cells do not.

No point in going any further with stem cells than that really - they might be marginally nutritious but that's about it.

Post 5

Orcus

Have a read of this

http://www.drdalepeterson.com/Stemenhance_c3a2fd879733af43e7cd.html

Post 6

Mu Beta

In fairness, they are claiming that consuming it stimulates a release of stem cells from bone marrow rather than just directly trying to feed people stem cells.

But their FAQ page and list of 'published literature' is very interesting reading indeed.

B

Post 7

Mu Beta

Oh, and CEOs do not wear black pullovers and jeans on corporate photos.

B

Post 8

Mu Beta

This document is also an utter delight.

http://74.115.92.38/public/us/science/CancerStudy.pdf

I found Dan Brown's last novel to be more evidentially convincing.

B

Post 9

Rod

Won't be following this very closely.

There was something about the presentation & language in the link that Whisky gave in post1...

Post 10

Orcus

>In fairness, they are claiming that consuming it stimulates a release of stem cells from bone marrow rather than just directly trying to feed people stem cells.<

Yeah I realised that later - I will confess to not reading it very carefully the first time as my boswellox detector was overwhelming me already at that point smiley - winkeye

Post 11

Whisky

Thanks guys, don't worry, I'm not about to start taking their tablets or investing money in them... I'd run across their company on a professional basis and when I saw their website all sorts of alarms went off in my head, but as I'm more of a physics/engineering geek than an expert in the medical/biological fields I just wanted a more informed opinion.

smiley - cheers

Post 12

YoginiAmy

Well, I had to take a year of biochemisty and, according to what I learned, everything you eat and end up digesting gets broken down into its components before your intestines can absorb it. Anything that is not thoroughly broken down, quite literally goes in one end and out the other. Any benefit that people are seeing by eating these strange supplements ought to also be obtainable by a healthy and balanced diet, which should also be considerably cheaper.

Also, for the record, I have a bachelor's degree in biology with a pre-med focus. I took an entire year of biochemistry, though, out of sheer interest.

Cheers smiley - cheers

Post 13

logicus tracticus philosophicus

just bookmarking as grazing at mo

Post 14

Orcus

I wouldn't hold your breath on this conversation going much further.

Post 15

Whisky

Unless someone goes wildly off-topic - in which case - anything could happen - this is hootoo after all!

Key: Complain about this post