A Conversation for How do I...?

For My Next Article - Do I Need To Explain?

Post 1

kitrapsjasani

I am working on my next article on the "Dam Busters Raid." This was, as we all know a low level bombing raid on the German dams during the second world war. But this was not the first low level bombing raid. In 1940. there was a low level German bombing raid on RAF Kenley on the South coast of England. This was done by the Luftwaffe using their Dorniner 17s. The RAF, in 1943, used Lancaster Bombers for the raid on the German dams in the Ruhr valley and was done by the "Dam Busters." So I was wondering if I need to mention the low level German raid on RAF Kenley?

Post 2

Rod

I'd say a brief mention of it as a technique - and perhaps a reference to earlier instances (if you can find evidence) during that and/or other conflicts.

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I agree. What made the dam busters mission special was the special bomb.

Post 4

Whisky

You can maybe explain why low level raids are more hazardous in general, but I don't think you need to go into details of other flights... After all, torpedo bomber flights were all low level, as were most attacks against seaborne targets by conventional bombers...

Certain weapons could only be dropped from low altitudes and certain targets could only be hit from low altitudes... That was just a fact of life for a WWII bombing mission.

Post 5

Rod

Agreed in principle, Whisky - which is why I suggested a 'brief' mention might be appropriate
(perhaps not all readers are familiar…)

Post 6

kitrapsjasani

Thanks guys. I will do this in the write up. Thanks so much - really appreciated.
smiley - smileysmiley - oksmiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more