A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Can you identify the story -

Post 1

Teasswill

where the God, or giant, or some sort of powerful (probably malevolent) being appeared gigantic but actually had a rather small figure inside or at the controls?

I suspect this appears in many plots, but I'm trying to remember in which book/film I came across it.

Post 2

Sol

Wizard of Oz?

Post 3

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Wizard of Oz definitely.

Post 4

swl

War of the Worlds

Post 5

Deb

There was a Buffy episode like that...

...Season 4, episode 4, "Fear, Itself", the demon Gachnar http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/Gachnar

Hey, get me! I'm more of a geek than I thought smiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 6

Deb

No, that's completely wrong. That'll teach me not to read the OP properly smiley - rofl

As you were.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 7

Baron Grim

If it's not Wizard of Oz, it might be a story based on, or an homage to Wizard of Oz.

For example Futurama episode S03E05 Amazon Women in the Mood. On a planet populated with Amazon women they worship a "femcomputer" which is actually a facade operated by a "fembot" inside.

If you can recall any other details, that might help narrow it down or eliminate alternatives.

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

My first thoughts were Wizard of Oz as well.

In Diana Wynne Jones's "Power of Three", the Dorig they meet in the swamp is enormous, but it turns out to be a thought-projection by a young child.

Post 9

Teasswill

Ah, yes it's probably WoZ I'm thinking of.
Did it crop up in any of the Discworld books or other SF?

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

In The Saga of the Exiles by Julian May (The Many-Coloured Land, The Golden Torc etc, the one where modern people go on a one-way journey back six millions in time and find Europe populated by magical aliens), the species known as the Firvulag projected themselves as muscular giants but were actually small and pot-bellied.

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

There was something similar in the first Discworld book, where the dragon queen projected images of an army of dragons - not quite the same.

Also in one of the Edgar Rice Burroughs books were the few remaining men in a lost city could call up armies of auburn-haired bowmen by the power of the mind. Again, not quite what you were looking for.

Post 12

Baron Grim

While the little god inside a larger god doesn't directly come up in Discworld, there is some similar themes the sizes of gods in Small Gods. I also recall somewhere, maybe not in Small Gods but maybe another scene in a discworld book where the gods roll dice like D&D players to control the world below.

Post 13

swl

Baron Grim, I think you'll find it was S03E01, most commonly known as "The one where they chose Death By Snu Snu" smiley - biggrin

Post 14

Baron Grim

Nope. It was S03E05 Amazon Women in the Mood. That's the same episode you're thinking of though.

Its production code was 3ACV01 but they aired out of order.

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Information/EpisodeGuide/Season3/

I think a lot of the problem with their airing dates were caused by Fox. Fox had them on at the beginning of their primetime Sunday night schedule so episodes were often bumped by football and baseball games running long (which they invariably do). They would typically schedule a new Futurama, then a Simpsons repeat, THEN a new Simpsons. Futurama's unpredictable airing I'm sure played a big role in their poorer than expected ratings. It was like Fox didn't want the show and tried to kill it with crappy scheduling.

Post 15

Bluebottle

Seems quite a common theme.

In 'Labyrinth' a 15-foot tall robotic monster that is created from the gates of the Goblin City is revealed to be controlled by a little goblin.

Alternatively, in 'Home' the scary alien villain is really a suit piloted by a little starfish thing.

<BB<

Post 16

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" in 'Home' the scary alien villain is really a suit piloted by a little starfish thing" [Bluebottle]

smiley - doh

Post 17

You can call me TC

I was first reminded of the Daleks - pretty sinister outside, wimpy little beings inside. But the trope definitely rings bells on the scale described in the OP - maybe it is the Wizard of Oz.

Post 18

Wand'rin star

I too was reminded of the Daleks (and the masked dancers of West Africa)smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 19

Hoovooloo

Men in Black? http://forgetomori.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/orionbelt01.jpg

The idea seems common enough to qualify as a trope.

Post 20

You can call me TC

Yes! That's it - Men in Black - smiley - doh

Key: Complain about this post