A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Don't know how to decide how to vote in the Referendum?

Post 181

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - lurk

Post 182

frenchbean

smiley - lurk

Post 183

ITIWBS

Good to see people begining to recover from the shock of the referendum and the post-referendum depression.

Post 184

Swl

Interesting to see where people are on this. Traumatic events are said to trigger a sequence of emotions - denial then anger then bargaining then depression then acceptance.

I recognise that I went through that sequence on Friday, probably not reaching acceptance until Saturday.

It takes different people different lengths of time.

Post 185

ITIWBS

I know what you mean.

Post 186

Maria

The more I read/listen to, the more depressed, angry people I find. It´s not so easy to recover from rage.

I saw on tv a woman from Cornwall looking at the sky and saying that Churchill must be happy with the outcome, it was a most patriotic act to vote leave.

That area as many of those that vote Leave are what receive more economic help from the EU.

People need, everywhere, much more political education, much more commitment with politics, to participate ,to be more active. If citizens dont do it, this situation that comes from lies and manipulation will repeat itself in future referenda, elections...

the rage need a way to be transformed into something useful for you.
I´m going to vote now, general elections. There is a party that took that rage from people and want to transform this country.
It´s the hope of many.

Post 187

swl

Maybe we'll see Spexit?

Post 188

Wand'rin star

I think I'd better unsubscribe: I am nowhere near accepting this, having been a committed European since I was an adult. smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 189

Peanut

a decision has been made and I have to accept that on a reasonable level, have been preparing myself for a while,

still it hurts like hell, with events moving swiftly on, just seems like on battering after another

please don't unsub

Post 190

Pink Paisley

I don't think that this CAN be accepted for a number of reasons.

1. This is damned important.

2. The understanding of a significant part of the British electorate of the detail of the issues was seemingly appallingly poor, rendering them unfit to express an opinion. (You'd take your car to a fishmonger for a service?)

3. The understanding of the consequences of exit doesn't seem to have been understood. ('Well, if we were wrong, we can always vote to join again'.)

4. A significant number of people don't seem to have understood that this wasn't a 'vote of confidence', but an instruction to be acted on. That is, they didn't understand what a referendum IS.

I can't stop turning over in my mind that a fair old chunk of the people who voted for exit won't suffer the consequences because they will be dead.

PP.

Post 191

Peanut

It is difficult to see now we have had a referendum how it could possibly be overturned,

I don't know that I want too,

still in my mind

was this a fair vote, given that level of mis-information that was given out

Post 192

bobstafford

Post 193

bobstafford

All the expats that were denied a vote would not agree.

Post 194

Pink Paisley

It really depends on your definition of 'fair'. I know that you don't mean were ballot boxes stolen and ballot papers altered.

My biggest problem remains the understanding of the electorate about what the EU actually is on a whole number of levels.

My next door neighbor frustrated and angered me. I had to walk away from a discussion with him. I really wish I could believe that he was alone in his understanding.

I can understand the first problem. Abu Hamza. He clearly stated that 'Europe' prevented us extraditing 'Captain Hook' (his words). I couldn't convince him that this was the European Court of Human Rights, a Council of Europe body that we are not leaving and will still be bound by. It has Europe in it's title, so it is obviously bad!

The second just made me angry and I'm not sure how I am going to deal with it in the long run. He believes that we need to control immigration because of 'all the p*k* shops'. A thoroughly messed up thought process going on there!

He is one of those, likely dead within 5 years who won't have to deal with the consequences.

The level of debate has been bottom clenchingly moronic sometimes.

PP.

Post 195

bobstafford

So true it is about time that people had to take a written test to get the vote, that won't unfortunately happen soonsmiley - erm

Post 196

Icy North

The way I see it is that Brexit was probably inevitable, given the rising tide of opinion against the changes to people's lives which EU membership and, more recently, globalisation are perceived to have brought over the last few decades. I suspect a lot of these changes came as a result of idealistic government (Thatcher/Blair), but people don't like them, don't trust the government or democratic process to help them, and so will happily tick any box they are preented with which says "No" or in the words of Will Young "Leave Right Now".

In or out, it's this political disconnect which is the biggest problem to solve, and I look forward to seeing which politicians are keen to address it and how. Maybe it can't be solved, but I hope nobody gets hurt in the ensuing struggle.

Post 197

Swl

One thing's sure, if you think there's a political disconnect now, wait until Westminster tries to ignore this referendum. The LibDems are already saying they will campaign on setting the result aside. Given the utter contempt they've shown to their support in the past it's no real surprise to see them treating democracy itself as something to be played with for their own narrow interests.

Post 198

Peanut

I have read around some codes of conducts during an election and principles of a free and fair election and can't find any clauses that say if the public has been lied to or grossly mislead it could constitute an unfair election.

Post 199

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Isn't it interesting who we find ourselves on the same side of the argument as? I wasn't surprised at Hoo being for remain - although he does has that professional contriarian streak. If pushed to make a prediction I'd have said that swl *might* have gone for leave, but for very different and non-UKIPy reasons. Or perhaps I should say the imaginary English swl might have voted for Leave - the Scottish context is different, of course. Bobstafford I would have had down as solid "leave". Not surprised at any of our world citizens view, obviously.

I think the only hope now is that something happens. Talk of a second referendum any time soon is absurd (sorry), and just because F*r*ge started crying it in when he thought he'd lost (with talk of second referendums and vote-in-pen conspiracy nonsense) doesn't make it okay.

But I'm not entirely pessimistic. But I think to justify either another referendum or its setting aside, something significant has to happen to justify it. That might be an offer of a new deal about membership, it might be a general election mandate, it might be a significant sea change in public opinion. Of course there are people who voted to leave who now regret it, but this isn't really enough. While it's true that Leave lied and those lies are now unravelling, so did the winning side in the referendum on proportional representation.

I think what's needed is a deep breath and for things to calm down. I hope things calm down - I'm hearing really worrying stories on social media (and from friends who've had this happen to them) about a huge increase in racist abuse in the streets.

Post 200

Icy North

This is exactly what you referred to, swl, when you mentioned the emotional cycle of change (I remember writing a journal on it when this site left the BBC). Some will deny it's happened, some will take a long time to accept it, and, tragically, a few won't actually be able to cope and will take their own lives.

What's required is for the Remain groups to quickly plan out what the best vision would be for them outside the EU and get people actively campaigning for this future. If they don't then they will quickly be saddled with Johnon's, Gove's and Farage's ideals.

Key: Complain about this post