A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Security?

Post 1

You can call me TC

I just tried to post this on my journal, but the site crashed on me. So I'll try again here, because Ask is a better place for it anyway:

I am flying to the UK next weekend and I just did my online check-in. I found it odd that they didn't ask for my passport number? Does anyone know what has changed? When I last flew (in March) I still had to give my number when checking in. Now they just wanted to know the place of issue and date of expiry.

I don't think they have my passport number saved somewhere because it didn't appear on the boarding pass.

And I thought security was supposed to be tighter these days...

Security?

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit with a paper passport
"It does not suprise me the online check just confirms you need to take a passport with you, the real checks will take place at the (air)port.

The picture and other biometrics on your passport is of no use when online."

Security?

Post 3

bobstafford

You may be on record and it is not necessary, did you use the same phone, they all link togethersmiley - smiley

Security?

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Last time I went abroad (in February) they didn't look for my passport details at all. They glanced at the passport at the gate but that was all.

Security?

Post 5

Wand'rin star

I once travelled to Ireland on my bus pass because I had left my passport at home. I wouldn't try it again, but was just wondering if it was possible.smiley - starsmiley - star

Security?

Post 6

You can call me TC

Oh, right. Well it seems they did have my passport number saved. I have now checked in for the return flight and they asked me if it was the same passport, giving number, expiry date, etc. So that's that mystery solved.

Now here comes the weird bit. I have been allocated the same seat (15C) for the outward and the return journeys. What are the chances of that?

I had to look twice to check they really were different flights on different days.

Has anyone else had this problem?: I once printed out my boarding pass at home on the common or garden inkjet printer, but the scanners at the airport couldn't read the barcode. Since then I have always printed them out on the high-tec laser printer at the office to be sure. (Don't tell anyone)

Off on Saturday. Will be seeing my mother, of course, and her sister and my sister and four cousins. Who are all very giggly girls. What fun!

Security?

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I always print my boarding pass on my inkjet and never have any problems.

I once flew to Lisbon, got off the plane, spent about 2 hours in the airport doing a transfer to a flight to Madeira, then found myself back on the same plane sitting in the seat behind the one I'd been in earlier.

Security?

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

I usually have my boarding pass on my phone - saves paper smiley - winkeye

Security?

Post 9

Icy North

(This is rapidly turning into a 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch)

Phones are so last year. I keep my boarding pass on my smart watch...

Security?

Post 10

Wand'rin star

If I book online (or rather if the son books for me) I always get the same seat both ways.TC I do remember feeling very paranoid the first time I was identified by name when collecting my luggage from a left luggage room. I hadn't realised the baggage tags carried names.smiley - starsmiley - star

Security?

Post 11

Baron Grim

I wonder if the RFID chips in modern passports are actually facilitating anything. I can't remember if they put mine through a reader, or waved it passed one or maybe they read them remotely? Or maybe they don't read them at all.

Security?

Post 12

You can call me TC

In the States they certainly read them. Sensibly, there is a barrier where the chip is read, a couple of metres before the actual passport control, and if it doesn't work, you can go through a manned desk. In Stansted, which is where I always land in the UK, if it doesn't work, you have to fight your way back through the queues of waiting people to the normal desks. Well, sort of. It's certainly not as orderly.

Security?

Post 13

You can call me TC

And I usually go through security with the barcode on my phone but I have a printout in my bag, just in case.

Key: Complain about this post