A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Name That Decade

Post 21

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

the Tenners..and now we are into the twenties.

smiley - tea

Name That Decade

Post 22

quotes

It will simply be called 'pre-invasion.'

All hail our overlords!

Name That Decade

Post 23

Orcus

>Something like the plot of "King Ralph?"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102216/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

evilgrin run
<<

Not at all. There's a comedy film called Dave - that's fine.

In the UK we have an entire comedy TV channel that used to be called UK TV gold 2 (iirc) but a few years back they decided they'd be called 'Dave' as it's supposedly amusing.
Now everything seems to get called 'Dave' for some reason. smiley - rolleyes

Ha well. What can you do. I prefer David anyway smiley - smiley

Name That Decade

Post 24

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

it'll soon be teh twentys... taht I'm looking forward too... i have every expectation that it'll be exactly like the 1920's all over again, just this time with touch screen mobile phones and more gin... It'll be great smiley - zen the teenies... Yuk... hm... the tens... damnit, nothing sounds right for it really... the teens... hmm... 2010s... twenty tens... hmm... smiley - headhurts role on the twentys...

Name That Decade

Post 25

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Dave" was a 1993 movie starring Kevin Kline as the President of the U.S.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106673/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5

Seriously, there is nothing remotely like the presumed alternative-royal-family film by that name in IMDB.

We have very different frames of reference in different parts of the world. smiley - erm

Name That Decade

Post 26

I looked up the TV Gold reference you gave, and found this buried among dozens of other stgairic projects:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2062676/

Was that what you meant?

Name That Decade

Post 27

Orcus

No

Let's say - I dunno - lest find an analogy.

Lets say, Comedy Central changed the entire channel name to Paulh because they thought your name is 'funny'.

How would you feel about that?

Name That Decade

Post 28

Orcus

Sorry I have a feeling that you're still not going to get it as I've not made it plain.

Someone here suggested naming this decade 'Dave'

My name is David in reality - it already annoys me that someone decided my name was amusing enough to name an entire comedy TV cannel after my highly amusing name.

So I'm having a bit of a rant about it.

Can we move on now?

Name That Decade

Post 29

Swl

Nobody mention Papa Lazarou.

Name That Decade

Post 30

Sorry. I didn't understand until you explained. smiley - cheerup

I used to know a man named Harold Potter. he died a long time before Harry Potter came along. I wonder if he'd have gotten a kick out of having his name so famous. he probably would have, as he was an imaginative stage director [amateur, of course, as his actual job was that of guidance counselor]. He worked a lot of magic over the years smiley - biggrin

But if someone named a villain after me, I'd be somewhat upset. smiley - sadface

Name That Decade

Post 31

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Or maybe a conservative radio talk show host?smiley - evilgrin

Then again, I liked listening to himsmiley - ok

And that is the rest of the storysmiley - smiley

F smiley - dolphin S

Name That Decade

Post 32

I liked listening to him, too. And here, there may be folks on the other side of the pond who don't get where you and I are coming from. smiley - smiley

Anyway, not only did this radio guy have the same name a same, his son and namesake was born the same year I was smiley - wah. But we still are no relations.

Name That Decade

Post 33

Sho - employed again!

Orcus, IIRC Dr Seuss wrote a book called "Too Many Daves"
smiley - run

Name That Decade

Post 34

Sho - employed again!

as for Harry Potter. A schoolfriend of mine is married to a mr Potter and they named their first son Harry. He's 3 years older than the first book and had a massive problem getting things like Facebook, twitter and Instagram to take it seriously enough to let him sign up.

On the other hand, people rarely forget his name

Name That Decade

Post 35

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

The headmaster at the local secondary is a Harry Potter..smiley - smiley

Name That Decade

Post 36

You can call me TC

I don't care what you all this decade, as long as you pronounce it deck-aid and not decayed.

Name That Decade

Post 37

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"The Trump Decade"

Oh hell no. smiley - cross

I'm partial to "the aughts" for 2000s, and "the tens" or "the teens" for 2010s.

smiley - pirate

Name That Decade

Post 38

I'll tolerate aughts and tens. Thank you.

Name That Decade

Post 39

Orcus

You're my wife now swl! smiley - evilgrin

Name That Decade

Post 40

Baron Grim

Much of this thread reminds me of something...

Oh yeah!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6bff9b5b67/office-space-w-michael-bolton?_cc=__d___&_ccid=2f662baf-3254-44d3-b3a2-a95b3b343eee

(Now with added Micheal Bolton)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more