A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 1

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

More than a decade ago, friends here and I shared supper ideas. Just to break up the occasional bit of common and boring. So. What will your supper be?

What will supper be?

Post 2

This being a bleak Sunday, I have:

- simple iceberg lettuce salad, choices of dressings
- a 4.4 pound (2 kg) slab of ham to bake with brown sugar and ginger ale. (Half goes to a pot-luck dinner later)
- scalloped potatoes, some medium cheddar cheese grated in
- carrots, skinned and made to sticks, light simmered to "al dente"
- an apple crisp for dessert

What will supper be?

Post 3

Gingersnapper+Keeper of the Cookie Jar and Stuff and Nonsense

~ ~ Sounds very good ~ I am hoping for an 'invite'. Love apple crisp with a little dollop of vanilla ice cream. . . smiley - bubbly . .. ...

What will supper be?

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm going to make cassoulet. A good late-Fall dish with chicken, rice, cannellini, and spices

What will supper be?

Post 5

Sounds right tasty, Paul. Nothing like a flavourful hot meal on a bleak and damp December day. smiley - smiley

What will supper be?

Post 6

bobstafford

Homemade chicken curry nice creamy sauce and fluffy boiled rice smiley - sporksmiley - ale

What will supper be?

Post 7

Here's the cassoulet recipe:

Cassoulet

Spices

1 tsp of dried oregano 1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp of dried parsley 1 cube of chicken bouillon
1 tsp of garlic powder Pepper to taste

Liquid broth

1 tbsp of olive oil
3 cups of water

Cans

One or two 14-ounce cans of cannellini
A small can of chopped olives [don’t drain]
Two small cans of tomato sauce, preferably low-sodium
One small can of artichoke hearts [don’t drain]

Meats

Choose two or more of the following, in amounts that make sense to you:
Breakfast sausages Diced ham
Chicken Tuna fish

Other ingredients

½ cup of rice [preferably brown]
Frozen greens
Sliced onions
Sliced carrots

Instructions

Put olive oil in the bottom of a cooking pot. Add the water, the spice mixture, and the meat. Turn on heat. Let pot simmer. Add all the other ingredients. Bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered for thirty minutes. Serves 3 or 4

What will supper be?

Post 8

You can call me TC

I thought I'd do curried mince - it needs to be something quick because I've got to go shopping first as we were away all weekend.

With rice.

What will supper be?

Post 9

You can call me TC

smiley - shrug Stayed at work so long that shopping wasn't an option. I dug some fish out of the freezer, as well as some potato wedges with rosemary, and some fennel that I froze before we went on holiday. Thawed out, heated through, stirred up a lemony sauce. It went down well and only took 15 minutes, except that some of the potatoes weren't quite thawed out and were a bit cold in the middle. Not such a problem with the hot sauce on them.

What will supper be?

Post 10

Still-cold spuds are - ummm - ick.

Wait for Sunday coming - my bride is part of a church choir and opted to arrange a "pot-luck" supper. There should be some colourful and interesting options ....

What will supper be?

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

well, dinner was a sort of stew/curry/dhal thing, more a dal/dahl than anything else I guess, with red split lentals, pasanta mushrooms, onion, garlic, chilis, stock, and chicken and.... a potato and whatever else I found in the fridge, plus some spices thrown in which I had with naam bread tonight... that was dinner/supper.... supper supper is soon... and probably just toast and cheese or ham, or perhaps a sandwich smiley - zensmiley - ponysmiley - pandasmiley - hotdog

What will supper be?

Post 12

Isn't dahl usually served with rice?

What will supper be?

Post 13

What I want?

- a 5 ounce filet mignon or an 8 ounce NY strip streak, done medium rare, sauteed mushrooms and onions
- a half dozen jumbo sized butterfly shrimps, in tempura
- a half dozen scallops, also in tempura
- fries, with a rich beefy gravy
- veggies irrelevant
- small measure of Caesar salad

What will I get?

What will supper be?

Post 14

smiley - drool

For supper tonight,I had a can of beef barley soup and some French-bread frozen pizza. It was cheap and filling, but no gourmet treat...

What will supper be?

Post 15

bobstafford

Macaroni cheese with spiced french sausage, tomato and bacon grated cheese topping smiley - biggrin

What will supper be?

Post 16

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Tonight, dinner was a pork, mushroom, potato, carrot, roso beans, tomato and mushroom and stuff stew with bread, and supper was toast with ham and brie and butter... This morning I ate the largest duck egg I'd ever seen for breakfast, with some toast... that was food today smiley - wahsmiley - drool still hungry...

What will supper be?

Post 17

I've never had a duck egg.

What will supper be?

Post 18

My supper had a bit of a change up: it was indeed the 8-oz steak, fungus and roots, shrimps and scallops. But the spuds were very creamy mashed and whipped, drizzled with beef au jus.

The veggies were 50/50 though - nicely done carrots, but also 3 of those horrid mini-green-cabbage things. (Brussels sprouts).

They bin very easily. smiley - biggrin

What will supper be?

Post 19

You can call me TC

Oooh lovely Brussels sprouts - if there are any left over, I keep going to the fridge and popping them in my mouth like sweets.

What will supper be?

Post 20

One in every crowd, huh? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more