A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is anyone watching Eurovision 2015?

Post 141

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

Post 142

Sol

Whose voice did the 1st singer Slovenia nick? Driving me nuts. Can hear the songs, can't name the artist? Nice though. My second fave.

Post 143

SashaQ - happysad

Nice Conchita interlude smiley - cool

Post 144

SashaQ - happysad

Unusual for the connection to be lost during voting, I think...

Post 145

Pink Paisley

I'm a little surprised that Russia's bloc vote is holding together.

PP.

Post 146

Pink Paisley

It did look odd didn't it!

PP.

Post 147

SashaQ - happysad

Very unusual for three countries to lose the connection...

Post 148

SashaQ - happysad

A bit of a break away from the bloc there...

Post 149

Pink Paisley

A few countries beginning to break ranks.

PP.

Post 150

SashaQ - happysad

Even Cyprus wasn't as keen on the Greece Entry smiley - laugh

Post 151

Pink Paisley

All done and I don't have to hear any of those ever again.

PP.

Post 152

SashaQ - happysad

It's a shame that Austria got Nul Points, but I'm not totally surprised at only 5 for Uk... Good result for Sweden smiley - biggrin

Post 153

SashaQ - happysad

Austria put on a good show - the main presenters were ok, but I preferred Conchita's contributions smiley - rainbow

Post 154

Sol

I think I've been watching Eurovision too long. 3 out of 4 called. Deary me. I rather wanted Italy to win, but hey, Sweden's was good. Nice to see Belgium doing well. Thought that was actually what should have won if this were in fact about interesting composing.

Great lighting/ stage set up by the Austrians. Really gave the acts scope to go wild.

Post 155

Mol - on the new tablet

Sweden was my favourite but I thought Russia would win. Very, very excited that my favourite won, because I don't think that's *ever* happened before. Especially glad that Russian *didn't* win, because the singer was in floods when she was doing quite well, so heavens knows what state she would have been if she'd won.

I liked the UK entry (I avoid previews so I always see it for the first time in the final). But as I couldn't vote for it my scores were as follows:

1 Hungary
2 Israel
3 Germany
4 Australia
5 Russia
6 Italy
7 Spain
8 Romania
10 Cyprus
12 Sweden

But, for the third year running I think, we gave top points overall for the stage, which out-performed all the other acts and was superb.

Yet again, several of the Big Five (or Big Four or Big Six or however many there are) ended up at the bottom of the table with not many points. These are countries which by virtue of coughing up most of the cost of the event get to skip the semis. I think this may be working against them - it means they haven't had the same exposure before the final.

I would love the UK to win again - our children have all grown up with Eurovision but the oldest was a tiny baby in 1997. But I don't think it will ever happen now. The UK lost its biggest advantage when the rules changed to allow everybody to sing in English. We keep sending singers who have very little experience of performing in a stadium-type venue. And we seem to rely on one performance to pull in the votes.

Anyway - pleased Sweden won, because I was chef last time the final was in Sweden, and this time it's Best Friend's turn. And she lives fairly close to an Ikea ... mmm, meatballs ...

Mol

Post 156

SashaQ - happysad

"These are countries which by virtue of coughing up most of the cost of the event get to skip the semis. I think this may be working against them - it means they haven't had the same exposure before the final."

Yes, I noticed that and think your theory is a good one.

Top points to the stage indeed smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin

Post 157

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Now *this* is the song Hungary should have chosen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnjWc2f_aJM

Key: Complain about this post