A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 1

Icy North

I have an unopened jar of mincemeat. Do non-Christmassy recipes exist for it?

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 2

Bald Bloke

Mince pies are nice at any time of the year, With Ice Cream?

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 3

You can call me TC

I have a recipe for mincemeat ice cream. Still - you could make one up yourself.

I agree - mince pies are fine any time. Otherwise, maybe stir it into an exotic sauce (for sweet or savoury purposes), or mix it into an apple pie filling, maybe even stir it into anything that would otherwise just have contained raisins - bath buns, perhaps, or eccles cakes.

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 4

You can call me TC

The comment about making up your own mincemeat ice cream recipe was simply because I have no idea where that recipe is.

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 5

ITIWBS

Chutney.

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Here's a link to a mincemeat cake recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mincemeat-cake-with-pecans/

Granted, it assume that you'll want it for Christmas, but there are many non-Christmas cakes and breads containing dried fruit -- Irish soda bread with raisins, Russian Easter bread with candied fruit, harvest cakes with chunks of apples or apricots inside, scones with raisins or currants. Why not try a piece of mincemeat cake instead of a scone with your tea?

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 7

KB

You could use it to stuff roast meat with - pork, for example. There are a lot of extant medieval recipes which use it that way.

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

sweet mincemeat pastrys are good anytime of the year; the mincemeat slice type ones..... err.... sure they've probably got a name..... smiley - droolsmiley - envy canny recall what they're called though....

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 9

Wand'rin star

Stuff baked apples with it ie core a cooking apple, fill the space with mincemeat and microwave for about five minutes depending on the size of the apple smiley - starsmiley - star

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 10

Deek

You could try rolling out two sheets of sweet, short pastry thinly and large enough to cover a baking tray. Place one sheet on the tray with baking paper. Coat the pastry evenly with the mincemeat and cover it with the second sheet of pastry. Press it down lightly to remove air and prick all over the 'sandwich' layers with a fork pricking through all three. Trim the edges and using a pastry brush paint the top layer with milk and sugar and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
Bake for about twenty minutes at about 180deg or until pastry turned golden brown. When done cut into squares and let cool. It should look like large Garabaldi biscuits, but tastes a lot better.

Fly-Pie.
smiley - smiley

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 11

bobstafford

Yum good idea thanks smiley - cheers

Unseasonal recipe advice

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

In my latest 42-word story, I have the famous detective snacking on mincemeat tacos:

Rusty wheels rolled through the alley. Lochinvar Lemming nibbled mincemeat tacos.

"Detective Lochinvar, save us!" cried imprisoned ballerina
Persephone O'Houlihan-Spock.

"He's a rodent in a wheelchair!" scoffed the other hostage. "Besides, isn't this Colombo's case?"

"They solve each other's cases -- accidentally."

Key: Complain about this post