A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Cheese and biscuits Gromit.

Post 1

Pink Paisley

It is well established that Wensleydale demands Cream Crackers.

For the sake of argument, I will accept that Digestives may not be considered the Best Biscuits Ever to have with all cheese (Although I reserve the right to retain the stance with regard to a good strong Cheddar).

So, the question is, as different wines and beers go with different foods, are there specific biscuits that go best with specific cheeses?

PP.

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Good question smiley - biggrin

I like a blue Stilton with something plain like a water biscuit so that the flavour of the cheese is the full focus of the eating.

A creamy white Stilton goes well with a herby biscuit as well as a water biscuit, I think.

Post 3

bobstafford

Digestives and cheddar brilliant never mind that poncy crackers and butter smiley - ok

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Personally, and in past experience, and quite often, expanisve and excessive investiagtions of this, I've always taken favor with ether the cream, or water biscuit; feeling, often, the plain simplic8ity of the later, can , most often, accentuate the fullness and richness of both the cheese, and the biscuit flavour. for the simplicity of the water biscuit, in itsef, is a flavour, so over, often over looked, in one's arsonal of flavours, and its parting paring with cheeses, of all types, I often find most appealing, on a purely taste level; without, of course, taking into account the mouth feel, which, personally is I belive, a point, and position at which it often leaves some of teh alternatives behind.

I have recently rediscovered jarlsberg though, that required no bisucuit, or anything, come to think of, it, not even a knife, just a decent half pound lump of the stuff, and a plante.... plate... smiley - blush Maybe I am expecting afterall.... triplets or more is my guess, juding by my food input smiley - laughsmiley - shhh don't tell #w.... or... hmm. oops. smiley - run

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm rather partial to Triscuits* with Vermont sharp cheddar cheese. No beating around the bush for me smiley - tongueout. I demand flavor! smiley - winkeye With brie I like a milder cracker like Saltines**, but rusks might do just as well. If neither cheddar nor brie are available, I probably wouldn't bother with cheese, though I might try Swiss cheese if I'm hungry enough. smiley - smiley But never American cheese! smiley - grr One of the most wonderful days of my life was the way when I went to an Italian cheese-tasting party smiley - flyhi. There are some wonderful Italian cheeses.

* A square whole wheat cracker made by Nabisco
**Also made by Nabisco

Post 6

quotes

I prefer most cheeses without biscuits, because I find the biscuit masks the flavour of the cheese. Wensleydale is a good example of a cheese which is totally perfect on its own. Asda, of all places, does a delicious Hawes Wensleydale, which is a favourite in this house.

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

Wensleydale, food of the Gods, goes well with a digestive - or with bread and strawberry jam or with dark fruit cake or with apple pie. Or, frankly speaking, on its own.

Sharp cheeses like cheddar and a very old Gouda go brilliantly with the sweetness of a digestive, and don't ever let anyone tell you any different. Actually I like Manchego, Peccorino and Gorgonzola with digestives too.

Cheeses with a bit more flavour, camembert and those soft cheeses the French do so well, go better with something that doesn't have much flavour as long as it's thin and crispy. Cream crackers are great or water biscuits. Oat crackers are fairly good too.

Salty crackers, Ritz and their ilk, have no place on a cheese board.

I am partial to Cornish wafers but they are too thick and "mouth fillingly dry" to eat with anything apart from butter

Post 8

recently I've been tending towards teh Bread side of things; one fresh Pain au levain a day, and often a ficelle too, or a pain au rustick, or campaign if they've not fgot the former; about half a pain au levain for breaky, with cheeses, then the same for lunch, and half or a whole of a second loaf of bread, for supper/dinner, depending, of course, at which time afternoon-tea, or tifan has fallen, on any given day, and wha plans there might be for high supper, dessert, and supper, and snakettes during the day.
I'm starting to think I really must be pregnant smiley - laugh

Post 9

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I like cheese with anything and sweet biscuits with my tea and savoury biscuits with savoury toppings like cheese or pâté.

smiley - bubbly

Post 10

Mol - on the new tablet

I generally only have cheese and crackers over Christmas. Culinary highlight of the year.

Double gloucester with chives n onions on a Hovis digestive is one of my all-time favourite combinations.

Apart from that, I chop and change the cracker-cheese combos. And factor in grapes, apple and pickled onions. Yummmmm....

Mol

Post 11

OHM! OMG! OMB! pickled onions! that's it... I must definatly be preggnant smiley - run to the shop chemo girl... this is a mission smiley - runsmiley - evilgrin MMM... and more jarlsberg... and camenbert... and ... whatever that other cheese was I demolished half a pound of for breakfast the other day smiley - laughsmiley - blushsmiley - run and crackers.... and... smiley - run foooooooooooooooood!

Post 12

My favorite use for cheese is on pasta or chili. I prefer a grated four-cheese Mexican blend.

You may have a point about salty crackers and cheese, Sho, but they invariably turn up when someone puts together a cheese plate. To be honest, grapes go very well with most cheeses, I think. smiley - smiley

Post 13

You can call me TC

I wouldn't exclude Ritz entirely, either. They liven up a bland cream cheese.

Post 14

Sho - employed again!

I hate to say it but I probably don't count bland cream cheese, or possibly the mexican 4 blend, as real cheese.

Post 15

Icy North

I prefer my cheese with hot buttered toast smiley - drool

Post 16

I sometimes have cheese, with my butter... and sometimes put butter under my toast smiley - laugh

thanks to this tread though, I actually bought some crackers in teh shop, last night smiley - zen not had any yet though; ca's ones I think, no idea which sub-type though smiley - dohsmiley - alienfrown
I also bought pickled onions last night, confirming the final clue that I'm pregnant.... - turns out soem really strong pickled onions, plus a scotch egg, some choc eggs, and toast plus Jarlsbergt, for supper, into a chemo tummy. can produce some interesting .... pains smiley - laughsmiley - laugh well. I'm blaming teh food I had, rather than anything else, just for once smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - rofl
oo. and I bought grapes today too!- grapes, pickled onions, crackers and cheese smiley - drool supper after the pub tonight..... could produce even more epic pain smiley - laugh of an useual nature smiley - runsmiley - boing

Post 17

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I like mine with a crisp apple.I've had it with apple pie and fruit cake too.Very tasty..

However cheddar or cream cheese with hot buttered crumpets is heaven.smiley - drool

Post 18

ITIWBS

...hot muffins with almond butter, bilberry jam and sour cream in the middle...smiley - coffee

Post 19

There are places in France where the cheese *is* the meal, especially a newly aged brie.

There are many pasta dishes that cry out for cheese. I used to try a multi-cheese Italian blend, but then I tried the Mexican blend and decided it had a more robust taste. I don't want to take the time to grate cheese, so I buy it already grated.

Parmesan is good in many pasta or rice dishes. Provolone is great in sandwiches, mozzarella on pizza. I've enjoyed pecorino, too. It just rarely occurs to me to pair cheeses with crackers, unless I'm at a big party where all the other foods have too many carbs.

Post 20

Pink Paisley

'Newly aged brie' is a new one on me.

PP.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more