A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A National bird for the UK?

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

There is a poll running to choose a National bird for the UK from a short list of ten.

Is this a good idea?

The U.S. may not feel quite so comfortable if it's National identity did not have the bald eagle. Imagine the U.S. Seal, or whatever it is called, did not have the spread-eagle on it.

What other Nations have something living for a National identity. I know The Lebanon (why is it called that, and not just Lebanon?) has the Cedar of Lebanon on it's National flag, although I understand this tree is under severe threat in The Lebanon.

The details are here. And feel free to comment and/or vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31904842

smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 2

Icy North

Hey, where's the seagull? smiley - smiley

Or the mallard?

Birds I always enjoy when out walking in the countryside would be the lapwing, curlew and oystercatcher. The winner would need to have a distinctive call.

Of that shortlist, I'm torn between the barn owl and the robin.

Post 3

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Interesting bird, the Barn owl, Tyto alba.

I believe it is the only terrestrial bird found in six continents, only Antarctica not being inhabited.

Also, in reality, there is no such thing as a seagull, as they rarely go much more than 1/2 a mile offshore. They are now just called gulls. And which to choose?

Probably the herring gull.

And the mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, interbreeds too much, and is too easily domesticated.

I must say that leaving off the humble sparrow, Passer domestics, appears an oversight.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 4

quotes

The Dunnock. Small, drab and an unflatteringly named...that's the UK.

Post 5

bobstafford

The great tit seems somehow appropriate some how ...

So does the robin roaming the world wearing a red coat and starting fights with the locals.

If the Betty the barmaid at the Rose and Crown who volunteered to put her name forward is not suitable ...

The buzzard is a possibility so is the Swan its going to cause some beltre.

Post 6

Bald Bloke

At the moment I would suggest whichever Hawk it was that took out a pigeon (Neat pile of feathers on my lawn), it deserves the honour for reducing the population of mutant rock doves which steal any food put out before the smaller birds get a look in.

Post 7

bobstafford

The humble crow has the intelligence of a primate (Chimp) that should give it a chancesmiley - smiley

Post 8

Rod

Dunno if you'll allow me a vote... if so, the Robin.

/ aside: being now firmly ensconced in NZ, the subject encouraged me to look up...

http://activeadventures.com/new-zealand/about/nature/birds-of-new-zealand/kiwi

Having done so, I had a little shiver down the back from the last sentence:
"Resourceful it may be - strong, fleet-footed and feisty - but the kiwi has exhausted its own resources and is now dependent on ours."

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Of the list, mute swan, and Kingfisher, would be contendors for my vote (well, I'm origionally from the b Norfolk/suffolk broads, so... they're clear local all the time sighting... (well not so the Kingfisher, only ever saw one, in the wild, once... so beautiful... majestic....).
Two other ones I don't see on the list... some kind of seagul (I'm from by the sea origionally too; have a seagul as my phone's ring tone, and, was once mistaken for a seagull by a lorry driver.... ) smiley - laugh and, the herron smiley - zen err, however one spells heron smiley - ermsmiley - doh

Post 10

Orcus

I thought we had one already to be honest - the Golden Eagle. Hmmm

Post 11

Icy North

I love kingfishers for the splash of colour, but they have much nicer varieties in other parts of the world (the kookaburra for example).

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

Kingfisher is my favourite - I saw one in real life for the first time in January this year, and that was a superb occasion. The kingfisher sat on a reed and posed for me while I worked out how to use the telescope, and then I had a great view of her for several minutes smiley - biggrin

Post 13

bobstafford

The Golden Eagle has been nationalised smiley - facepalm thats politicians for you watch it become unproductive and be sold off to a foreign buyer and disappear

Post 14

Icy North

Wasn't the rail nationalised?

smiley - run

Post 15

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Kingfishers would do very well as a national bird. Swans would be good, too. Doesn't the royal Family have an official swan-counter?

Alice in Wonderland had dodos and flamingos -- the former extinct and the latter not native [except for Wonderland itself, wherever that is smiley - winkeye].

Another option might be to choose one from the list of most common birds.
http://www.itv.com/news/2014-03-27/britains-top-10-most-common-birds/

I'm a huge fan of goldfinches, by the way. smiley - smiley

Post 16

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

What's wrong with Starlings.Especially when you get a murmur of them..They are so graceful..

Or even the Sparrow..the cockney of the bird world.Though there are fewer colonies of them these days..People have been getting rid of their hedges.

It's not like we all have swans,barn owls and red kites visiting our back yards and gardens.

Post 17

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Not sure if its native... but I used to think the nuthatch (sp?) nut-hatch? was a very ... pretty littel bird... used to get soem in the woods near my house where I lived, as a child... but it could have easily been an European import, given the location and often flying over the channel birds we used to get a lot too smiley - weird

Post 18

Pink Paisley

My favourite would be the LBJ - Little Brown Job. It is a generic small dull brown bird that can be a Dunnock, Hedge Sparrow, House Sparrow etc that we are all familiar with, but many of us can't easily identify accurately.

(The Robin is already the national bird of the UK. Why do we need to change it?)

PP.

Post 19

bobstafford

That will do nicely and they stay on for the winter and stick it out with the rest of us.smiley - smiley

Post 20

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Robins are fine, too. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more