A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How can you get to sleep when you have a congested nose all night?

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

smiley - ok

I know it may not upset everyone, but it is a regular for me.

Either one, usually the left, or occasionally both tubes fail.

This may not pose a problem, except it will usually cause breathing through the mouth, creating dry-throat syndrome and so awakening early.

That is assuming smiley - zzz were gained in the first case.

So smiley - zzz is either non-existent or broken due to blocked pipes.

Nasal sprays may assist but the recommended dose is for three days max.

And the weirdest thing is once awakened, not for essential micturation purposes, but on surfacing, the nasal cavities will insist on excess flow after a five minute period of abstinence prior to awakening.

This is smiley - huh as awakening may occur on at lead 2 occasions without full piston activity.

Anyone else have the same effects? Or solutions?

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 2

Xanatic

There's stuff you can buy to rub on your chest or underneath your nose to help with this.

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Do you have sleep apnea?

I know someone who has some kind of vibration machine that somehow keeps his nasal passages open during the night.

There are also some gadgets that fit over the nostrils and physically kept them spread wide.

Post 4

Teasswill

What about a simple saline nasal spray? You can use those more frequently.

Post 5

Sol

The kids have this problem. I put drops of oilatum oil on tissues near the bed. It's paint stripper powerful - I can feel my nasal hairs shrivelling at the merest whiff and that's the kids' dose. You can also sniff it close up for added MY WORD power.

Post 6

Sol

Sorry, bah, olbas oil, not oliatum oil. That's for their delicate little skin.

Post 7

quotes

Pseudofed works.

Post 8

Hoovooloo

I like to lie on one side, with the blocked nostril at the top. Over the space of about ten or twenty minutes there's a weird sensation as the mucus in my sinuses sssssssllllllooooooowwwwwwwlllllyyyyy flows down under gravity, and the "upper" nostril unblocks. Then fairly shortly the "lower" one blocks up. Concentrate on really feeling the flow. It's very relaxing.

Turn over, and repeat.

I usually get two or three turns before I fall asleep.

Post 9

quotes

When I feel rubbish during the early stages of catching a cold, I find a hot bath makes me feel a lot better; but why should this be? It feels like it's more than just comforting.

Post 10

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I hope it's not mold or some other allergy. Is it only in the bedroom you get this?
Sometimes, I pinch and rub the membrane between the nostrils, just inside the opening. It's odd, but it usually relieves a bit of the blocking.
smiley - towel

Post 11

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I turn from side to side a few times, too, until my nostrils get unplugged. It might also be the case that when I'm sleeping, I need few breaths and less oxygen. It's only when I'm awake that I feel inadequate oxygen.

Post 12

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Thanks Folks. It may be dust. Not sure. Since breaking the septum of my nose when I tripped over my slippers, the left piston hasn't fired properly. The Otrivine flu spray works well, but I'm not overly keen on taking it regularly.

And Olbas Oil is also good, but stings my eyes something rotten.

Why is life never simple?

In Denmark there is a lozenge, made by Vicks, called Blue, that works well. A friend bought me 20 bags back which will last me for a fairly long time.

Jackman's original, from Boots, work well too, but not ideal to take at night.

I'll see if the saline spray works. Thanks for the suggestions.

smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 13

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I have exactly the same problem..I just turn onto the other side or try sleeping on my back.

I also keep a full bottle of water by the bed for the dry mouth condition with a nipple type top so I don't spill it while laying down.

Never found anything that will keep nasal passages clear for very long..only gravity works..or sleeping upright which I occasionally have to when suffering reflux at night.

Post 14

Teasswill

If I have a cold & am very bunged up, I use an extra pillow but it's not very comfy sleeping like that. Long term, some people put blocks under the top of the bed to raise it up.

Key: Complain about this post