A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Could/should this be an entry?

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

A87847942

A rough work so far but didn't want to waste time on it if a no-hoper.

Initial thoughts please.

smiley - ta

MMf

smiley - musicalnote

Post 2

bobstafford

Hello MMF this is an interesting entry. It has all the makings of a good entry perhaps a bit of the instruments history/development.

All things considered its a good start I found it interesting and I learnt something new, and thats the whole point of an entry. Good work it shall be nice to see it finished.smiley - cheers

Post 3

Thanks.

Having difficulty as to the entry title, as it is really two entries in one. One, what is the difference between… and two, how to fix up a fiddle/violin.

Tricksy.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 4

Superfrenchie

Short answer : Yes. smiley - biggrin

Longer answer :
I found this interesting, and would like to know more. As bobstafford said, a bit more about the history would be nice.
Maybe also the difference between a violin and a viola and all their cousins ? Although it might make the entry too long and make it seem a bit unfocused, I don't know. smiley - erm

There are a couple of typos, but I'm sure those can be dealt with at the end of the process, when you're done fiddling with the content. (see what I did there?smiley - winkeye)

smiley - hug

Post 5

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Yes, please make this into an Entry MMF

I think when people google, they start with a question, so your working title should provide the most likely answer(s).

You can then go onto widen your reader's knowledge by providing answers to other related puzzling things.

I would stick to fiddle/violin though - if you want to widen the scope you can always make a related Entry.

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

By all mans go for it! smiley - ok This is exactly the sort of topic that people are likely to want information about.

Post 7

Bluebottle

smiley - grovelPlease put it in an article for Peer Review!

Variety is the spice of life, and I think h2g2 is at its best when there are articles written about a wide range of different topics in a lot of different styles. So if you've written something a bit different, definitely put it in Peer Review.smiley - smiley

I've looked to see what related articles we have, and there's a bit of a gap in the guide about violins, only articles on the bow and classical violin, so obviously we'd welcome more about fiddles. It is, of course, a different sound.

If you want to you can see how other writers have approached writing about musical instruments over at C98, but I don't think it is necessary. Use your own voice.

I look forward to reading all about this in PeerReview!

<BB<

Post 8

Icy North

Yes, please get this into the guide.

You missed out what I was told was the only difference between a fiddle and a violin - you keep a violin in a case.

Post 9

Thought that was the fiddle, Icy.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Didn't Douglas Adams write something about fiddly bits, or am I thinking of some other writer? smiley - huh

Post 11

Rod

My smiley - 2cents :

Yes it Could
Yes it Should

Rod

Post 12

smiley - ok

I think that's a 100% smiley - ok on the op.

Best I see what I can do.

So let me get this right.

The running order is as follows:

1) Intro: What violins are and how they came about.
2) History and the family.
3) Their composition.
4) the difference between violins and fiddles.
5) How to set up a violin and a fiddle, and the differences
6) Conclusion, including musical styles, and how the instruments fit in etc.

Have I missed anything?

smiley - cheers

Oh. And thanks Matodermi and Rev Nick. Finally back in the entry-writing groove again. About time.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post