A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 21

Sho - employed again!

TC has a point about the grammatical pedantry vs the desire to get the ideas straight before worrying about the technicalities.

which is why, quite a while ago now, I just gave up on PR because someone would post an entry and the first 20 posts were "put a comma here" or "you spelt xxxx incorrectly" instead of commenting on the subject matter.

Sure, if it is unreadable because grammar spelling and punctuation are rubbish, it's nearly impossible to read. But if it is minor things, a first reader should, really, just get over it. Or not accept the task until it is time to clear up the grammar spelling punctuation.

smiley - smiley

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 22

bobstafford

Good point smiley - ok
Though it seems much better lately and as a personal level, I have never found the process to be unreasonable or pedantic. smiley - smiley

The problems others may have may require review but I have found reviewers all do a good job. smiley - ok

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 23

ITIWBS

Pedantry is an acquired taste that requires patience and persistence to develop.

Especially if its something mathematical, I'm happiest if nothing is left undefined.

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 24

Baron Grim

Proofreading isn't welcome in peer review?

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 25

Sho - employed again!

I'm talking about quite a long time ago.

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 26

Bluebottle

Fortunately that doesn't happen in Peer Review anymore – Peer Review should be about encouraging writing, not about showing off who has the best grasp of grammer.

If it was I'd be in trouble - they didn't teach grammar when I was at school. I think I probably hold the record for the most typos, grammer and spelling mistakes ever committed to Peer Review. Somehow I get away with it*...

If pedantry puts people off from writing stuff for Peer Review, something's gone wrong somewhere. If I have ever inadvertently upset anyone, I apologise.

<BB<

*The secret of my 'success' is to spend years prattling on about the Isle of Wight; no-one ever pays the blindest bit of noticesmiley - winkeye

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 27

Baron Grim

Well, I haven't been in peer review for some time and I guess I won't be going back.

I thought proofreading was helpful, but I guess I misunderstood. Not that all I did was proofread while there, far from it. But still.

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 28

Sho - employed again!

BG don't get cross - it was a while ago. But I'd make the same argument now if it was still happening. when you put something in PR the first thing you want is constructive feedback about the content, not "put a comma there"

when the content is taken care of, the grammar can be taken care of - although I'd argue that's a sub-eds job. And it did put people off PR when the first page of comments was exactly that - commenting purely on grammar and spelling.

So change was encouraged and as far as I know that doesn't happen now.

I only brought it up as an example of how annoying a lot of people find that, and it seemed pertinent to the OP

smiley - tea

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 29

Bluebottle

Proofreading can be helpful, but it can put people off submitting articles.

Personally I'm always glad when people thoroughly read stuff I've written (I still think it is amazing that someone on the other side of the world is not only able to read stuff what I wrote, but has spent their time doing so ) so I'll take comments like 'you've spelt Llanfairpwlgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch with too few ls' (it should, of course, be 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch') as a compliment. So for me, proofreading is definitely helpful smiley - ta

Unfortunately other writers have considered this sort of contribution to be overly-critical point-scoring, and have either withdrawn their contribution from Peer Review or not written anything else.

We need to encourage new writers and not put them off, as well as ensuring we keep the ones we've got. If anyone has an idea of something they'd consider writing and putting in Peer Review, smiley - grovelplease, please do!

<BB<

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 30

Baron Grim

I'm not cross. And I bring it up here because it is relevant here. I may very well have been one of those pedants unintentionally irritating folks by proofreading when it wasn't desired.

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 31

Bluebottle

Alas we all unintentionally upset people now and then. I've definitely inadvertently put my smiley - footinmouth on more than one occasion... C'est la vie.

I suppose we all (myself included) have to learn diplomacy and discretion. And quite possibly other things beginning with d (Dinosaurs...?). If you did want to look around in Peer Review at any time, please do feel free to be as pedantic and fussy as you want to about any of my articles. With anyone else, perhaps ask 'would you find comments regarding spelling and grammar useful?' before offering any.smiley - huh

<BB<

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 32

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes
>> ...to learn diplomacy and discretion. And quite possibly
other things beginning with d (Dinosaurs...?). <<

How about dyslexia?

I honestly don't see it as a handy anything.

Can't imagine it being a cap at all.
'Cept maybe an Andy Capp.
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3037/3031078346_401713d037.jpg

Cheers
~jwf~

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 33

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I agree with Bluebottle, even a pendent post with a list of corrections shows someone has bothered to read your Entry. If there are no comments about the subject matter, I consider it to have been clear and understandable.

After reading the postings here, I went back and read the comments on my first Entry in Peer Review, almost 12 years ago, There were 63 posts before it was accepted and many of them quite long (those were the dayssmiley - sigh) It took the best part of an hour, but I laughed and remembered some fine Researchers from time gone by.

There are a limited number of sub-Editors these days, so the more corrections that can be made in the Review process not only makes their life easier, but corrections made by the Author saves the Subbie from having to ask if each correction is acceptable.

It usually takes me a few weeks, several months, or sometimes even years to get an Entry ready enough to submit, so am quite happy to know that someone has bother to read my offering.

But yes, each Researcher should be encouraged to continue contributing.

Ismiley - love how threads go smiley - offtopicsmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

F S

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 34

Baron Grim

Ahem... you misspelled dolphin.

smiley - evilgrinsmiley - run

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 35

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - blush I spotted that within 30 seconds of posting smiley - shrug

I had corrected it in an earlier post, but obviously did it on-line and not in my WP.

No matter how often I perview, I always miss something I spot as soon as I hit 'post' smiley - headhurts

Thank you for the correctionsmiley - biggrin

F smiley - dolphin S

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 36

Baron Grim

I truly hope the next h2g2 includes a time limited edit in convos.

Yes, I know how to use preview, but we all know how instantaneously we can notice a missed typo upon hitting [Post Message].

smiley - doh

Is dyslexia a handicap?

Post 37

ITIWBS

It struck me, suddenly, there is probably a relationship between dyslexia and autism.

At any rate, the emotional problems afflicting dyslexials and the autistic are in many ways similar.

Both conditions are associated with above the mean intelligence that call for specialized insight and training on the part of educators.

Key: Complain about this post