A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Star Wars - what do I *need* to know about it?

Post 61

Maria

Gracias Mr X. smiley - ok
From what you say, I see a story that can be related to real issues like power relations and the use of war as a mean to keep that power.

On the other hand, I think the appeal to teenagers may be closer to the coolness of the parafernalia and aesthetics of the film.

I find normal up to a point that adults who enjoyed all that want to keep it alive by dressing up and attending conventions of that kind, it´s fun.
but I don´t get the exhacerbated passion that makes fans spend a lot of money and energy on that. I ´m not a fan of anything, maybe that´s the reason I find strange and sometimes a bit pathological so much enthusiasm for a film or a football team, or a pilgrimage...

Post 62

Maria

paulh:
"I grant you that the poor and downtrodden adults have to put these figures up against the wall when the revolution comes, but can you picture graying adults being the main demographic in this? It's the younger adults, many of them barely past thei teen years. .

Adults and youngs can share a common enemy: autoritative power, omnipresent in real live. However I don´t think that people dress up thinking of any of all that, they just do it for fun.

"Think the revolutionaries in "Les Miserables." Not a graybeard among them"

ay amigo! last week in the spanish parliament, a group of people were expelled from the guests seats because they started to sing the People song, from The Miserables in protest against a law against demostrations and basic freedom rights that makes Franco a good chap.

Young and adults, many grey folks, were there.

and, every monday in the emblematic Puerta del Sol, where the spanish revolution started, a group of pensioners get together to talk about politics in an open assambley.smiley - smiley I love those greybeard revolutionaries.

Post 63

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"If Obi-Wan and Yoda don't pass along their wisdom soon, then the Jedi will become extinct. Is that something you can relate to?" [Mr. X]

I can relate to it, but Yoda seems to do a good job of passing his wisdom on to Luke. He does it on camera, too, and is so effective that hundreds of thousands of people in the UK list their religion as "Jedi Knight." So, the Jedi are in no danger of becoming extinct.

smiley - yawn Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for my mid-morning nap. smiley - zzz

Post 64

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"The films of Dune are a very poor imitation of the books." [Florida Sailor]

That may be, but my reason for seeing it had to do with Linda Hunt, who won an Oscar for 1982's "Year of Living Dangerously" two years earlier. I made a point of seeing every movie she was in for a while: "The Bostonians" and "Dune" [1984], "Silverado" and "Eleni" [1985], "She-devil" [1989], and "Kindergarten Cop" [1990], which so silly that I despaired of her film career and moved on to other actors smiley - erm.

Before the 1984 version of "Dune", there was an earlier version that never came to fruition, to the chagrin of many film aficionados. I'm not sure whether that aborted version was by Jacobs or Jodorowsky.
Cultists, whether literary or filmic, seem to live in worlds somewhat distant from the rest of us. smiley - winkeye

Nevertheless, if I'm at a website where dozens of other participants adopt names based on a particular author's characters, it seems worthwhile to plow through that author's books, no matter how long it takes [within reason, of course].

But "Dune" is not by the author in question. If Jacobs/Jodorowski's version ever makes it to the screen, I will go and see it. Even if it's not a good adaptation of the book, it can't possibly be as bad as some of the stuff that has been in theaters lately smiley - sigh.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more