A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Ask: Syncing Outlook diary with Android/Samsung

Post 1

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Can anyone recommend a good way to synchronise the diary on Outlook with that on an Android/Samsung mobile phone?

For reasons that I don't understand, these two apparently don't like each other and don't talk together easily. I used to be able to synchronise the two pretty well through using google calendars which had a sync widget for which support has apparently been withdrawn and doesn't work any more. There's also something called Samsumg Kies which ought to work, but which takes ages, connects unreliably, and duplicates entries for reasons I don't understand.

Any thoughts/tips/suggestions much appreciated...

Post 2

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Wow, I could've written that precise post a year or so ago. It's exactly the issue I was having with my samsung phone. The solution? I got an HTC phone smiley - winkeye

Seriously I tried everything and every forum and never found a solution when I owned a Samsung. As soon as I got an HTC it just synched automatically without me doing a thing beyond logging into my email smiley - shrug Nearly fell off my perch when I looked at my phone calendar and found all my outlook stuff on there smiley - magic

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Hm. I just added my work email to the email thing on the Samsung, and it just picks it up... And there's a widget that displays both that one and my Google calendar. The trickiest part was to guess how to set up the work email account - what sort of connection to use, what servers to list and so on. In the end I think I just guessed at something and it happened to work... smiley - silly

smiley - towel

Post 4

Hmmm... perhaps that's it. I don't have my work email on my phone because it's mine and because I don't want to fall into the trap of checking it. But maybe if I find a way to connect it up it'll sync the calendar too, if I can hide the work email so I'm not tempted to check it.

Post 5

I think adding work email on to my phone may have worked - the calendar seems to be working... (touch wood). Thanks, both of you!

Key: Complain about this post