A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Food suggestion

Post 1

Teasswill

What can I make as a contribution to an evening garden party?
I'm thinking something that can be taken in a disposable container (so no problem collecting to take home or risk losing) & eaten without implements (in case plates & cutlery in short supply).
Also something minimum effort!

Sweet or savoury? Any ideas?

Food suggestion

Post 2

SiliconDioxide

Breadsticks smiley - smiley

Food suggestion

Post 3

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

cupcakes
or if feeling a tiny bit more cheflike
choux pastry buns smiley - drool

Food suggestion

Post 4

Bald Bloke

Samosa's
Sausage rolls

Food suggestion

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I would suggest calzones, which are like pizza slices but rolled up like buns. Easy to eat with your fingers. Easy or hard to make depending on your experience levels. Dim sum [Chinese steamed dumplings] are also great as finger food. Knishes, croqettes, empanadas, samosas, anything with a filling. Many many different countries have variations on the theme. I've made almost all of the above, but I've had to simplify.

[I have empanada and chicken croquette recipes somewhere. The empanadas are a Chilean dish with hamburg, spices, and chopped olives in side.

Food suggestion

Post 6

Teasswill

Hmm - sounds quite adventurous. I think a trip to the supermarket might be in order.

Food suggestion

Post 7

Deb

While you're at the supermarket pick up a couple of packs of cocktail sausages and a box of cocktail sticks. I do love a sausage on a stick smiley - drool

My favourite buffet food is cheese & pineapple on sticks. Skewer them onto large jacket potatoes covered in foil. You could just take them on a disposable tray, covered in clingfilm.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Food suggestion

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

If pies, pastrys, or pastry etc is more than you want... or cooking skills go too... and it can be a hastle sometimes.... how about 'sandwichs'?

Easy to make and you can be inventive.... don't need to just think slices of bread, rolls or baguettes, wraps etc, with nice fillings can be gorgeous smiley - drool and the afore mentioned sausage on sticks smiley - drool or, one that never fails, a really good decent selection of cheese, that everyone can just cut into and have,; maybe with some decent crackers.... Mind, also depends what kind of get together it is.... and, how posh... I'm more used to my familys ones, which basically comes down to just bring vast amounts of alcohol to gain entry, and then any food is warmly recieved, whatever it happens to be smiley - laughsmiley - blush

Food suggestion

Post 9

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Tub of ice cream and some ice cream cones..

Food suggestion

Post 10

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

Home made Focaccia and dips?

Food suggestion

Post 11

You can call me TC

Mini quiches.
Sausage rolls.

If you want to avoid making pastry:

A couple of packets of Ritz and some dips like guacamole, tuna mayonnaise, various yoghurt and herb-based mixtures, or taramasalata. Colourful and moreish.

Food suggestion

Post 12

You can call me TC

Melon kebabs - cut different colour melons into cubes or make little balls if you have the gadget for it, and put them on kebabs (there'll be red, white, yellow, orange) Slip a leaf of mint in between the cubes every now and again.

If you use a different order each time, it will look lovely when they're all lying next to each other.

Food suggestion

Post 13

You can call me TC

Spinning further on Paul's ideas - tiny meatballs on sticks are delicious - can also be dipped. (served cold) Dips can be plain tomato ketchup or a variety of hot sauces, although a smooth yoghurt with (again) mint in it gives it a Greek touch.

Or chop up hard-boiled eggs, wrap the mincemeat round a spoonful thereof, roll in breadcrumbs and make mini Scotch eggs. About walnut-sized - you can just pop them in your mouth.

Food suggestion

Post 14

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - drool anything on sticks works well... sausages... meatballs.... veggy spiced 'meat' balls with bulghur wheet smiley - drool sushi (the veggy stuff is probably easiest to make and cheapest) smiley - zen or.... buy the most expensive big box of 'crackers for cheese' you can find, and either just a pile of cheese to go with it, or cheese and pate or just pate I guess smiley - drool or.... a dozen packets of ritz crackers smiley - droolsmiley - droolsmiley - drool and some butter smiley - magic hmm. actually I'm just writing out my shopping list for the week, arn't i? smiley - silly

Food suggestion

Post 15

Teasswill

Some super ideas - may well use those next time I'm entertaining or want to put more effort in.
This time I've gone for the really simple option as I want to spend tomorrow gardening. I bought some grapes & a melon (which I'll prepare in slices for easy eating.)

We'll be taking a bottle of wine as well of course...

Food suggestion

Post 16

I am definitely getting hungry as I read this thread. smiley - drool

Food suggestion

Post 17

Teasswill

The grapes & melon were a good choice - loads of savoury stuff & sweet desserts, but no other simple fruit.

A good time was had by all.

Food suggestion

Post 18

I'm glad it went well. smiley - smiley

There are grapevines hanging from trees in my neighborhood. Yesterday I picked some ripe grapes. Being wild, they were on the small side, and full of seeds, but they had a nice tart taste.

Food suggestion

Post 19

Teasswill

We have some sloes. I'm not that keen on sloe gin, so looking for other ideas. Or the birds can have them.

Food suggestion

Post 20

bobstafford

Look up Mrs Beaton on line there are some good ideas there

Sloe jelly, sloe and apple and others.

Hope it helps smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post