A Conversation for Ask h2g2

should Russia be stripped of hosting the world cup?

Post 1

Pink Paisley

And any financial inducements paid to FIFA officials returned?

It would save them a lot of money after all.

PP.

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

It would be the start of a slippery slope. I say no but they need to tighten up selection for this kind of event in future.

OTOH: organisations like FIFA and the IOC are businesses who are out to make money, why are we ever surprised about accusations of corruption?

Post 3

KB

Who says we're surprised? I doubt anyone is surprised, but I imagine people might disapprove, and want to clamp down on it.

Post 4

bobstafford

No its an ideal partnership.

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I live in a country [U.S.A.] that has mounted incursions of a number of countries since the 1940s. If not invading other countries were a prerequisite for qualifying to host international sporting events, my country would have been denied the opportunity many times. Belgium, Monaco, Paraguay, and Switzerland would be among the few countries that would still be eligible smiley - winkeye. Do we want the pool of applicants to be that small?

I think Russia should be given the benefit of what doubt still exists.

Post 6

Orcus

As corrupt as FIFA and IOC may be, I am definitely pleased that they are (at least in principle) independent of governments.

Noone seemed to be suggesting that they be stripped of this when they annexed sections of Crimea shortly after - if not during -the recent winter Olympics.

The relations between Russia/Ukraine - and with Western Europe have a looong history and I doubt that withholding a footie tournament will make any difference.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more