A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Wasps!

Post 21

ITIWBS

Tiger swallowtails and monarch butterflies depend of the same range of milkweeds for fodder for their caterpillars.

Tiger swallowtail caterpillars are often not recognized as caterpillars.

They look like tiny, dry bodied, slate grey slugs.

You might see google advanced image search to picturez.

Wasps!

Post 22

tucuxii

ALL BUGS ARE INSECTS
NOT ALL INSECTS ARE BUGS
If a site is going to use scientific names for species it should do the same for classes and orders
Bugs two Orders of Insect Hemiptera and Homoptera with sucking moth parts

Wasps!

Post 23

SiliconDioxide

Bugs: concealed devices that leak information.
Insects: Sects that are trending.

Wasps!

Post 24

SiliconDioxide

Changing the order again; I saw a dozen beautiful demoiselle at the weekend.

Wasps!

Post 25

ITIWBS

Insect sight of the years, a swarm of red dragon flies, so many I was unable to get a good count.

Since mosquito's are extinct locally, they must have found so ething else to eat.

Observation, the housefly count dropped precipitously during their visitation.

Wasps!

Post 26

Baron Grim

By separating the word "dragonflies", I lost context and imagined some other creature entirely. I put red and dragon together and tacked on fly.

smiley - fairysmiley - dragon

Wasps!

Post 27

ITIWBS

After correcting for textmess, (See forum discussions on 'google 'keyboard'', as they call the 'word' program on Android.):

"Insect sight of the year, a swarm of red dragonflies, so many I was unable to get a good count.

Since mosquitos are extinct locally, they must have found something else to eat.

Observation: the housefly count dropped precipitously during their visitation."

I hate having to play 'chase the dustbunny' with the touchscreen cursor control that's the only device available for making corrections with this system, especially since the majority of errors are machine errors.

I'm personally convinced the dysfunctionalisms affecting the system are a consequence of attitude rather than incompetence on the part of the software design team and that ultimately the only answer is sacking them and throwing away substantial parts of their program.

AVG is making some progress toward cleaning up the software problems.

Wasps!

Post 28

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Well there are plenty of Mozzies about. Fifteen bites and counting..and as there are some on my back I can't reach it's probably higher..smiley - sadface

Wasps!

Post 29

Baron Grim

Between the discovery of West Nile Virus in neighborhoods across the greater Houston/Galveston area and the threatening Chikungunyasmiley - star outbreak, I'll be using a lot of DEET this year, it seems.

smiley - starEvery time I hear about chikungunya, my mouth waters.

I could really go for a big bowl of chikungunya right now. smiley - drool

Wasps!

Post 30

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Aedes mosquitoes were unknown in Massachusetts until 2000. Now we have them, in addition to the anopheles and others. Hopefully they are not yet exposed to the chikungunya virus, which requires a pool of tropical/subtropical animals that Massachusetts does not have. Rodents are the only other hosts that we would have.

Not that we really want or need chikungunya here. We have Lyme Disease [spread by ticks and sharing hosts with deer and mice] and Eastern Equine Encephalitis [which, as the name suggest, relies on nearby infected horses].

Key: Complain about this post