A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Repeating stuff/doubling back

Post 1

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Maybe it's just me but I absolutely *loath* having to repeat anything neddlessly. This, for me, ranges from the really small; re-typing in one word that hasn't appeared because I haven't clicked in the box (small limited rage), to reposting this post because the webpage crashed (medium-sized anger lasting several minutes), to missing a junction on a motorway and having to double back for many miles (mega-rage-real physical anger, possibly for half an hour or more).
So is it just me? And why am I like this? Do some smiley - zen people just shrug these things off without feeling any anger at all?

Post 2

*needlessly* smiley - rolleyessmiley - winkeye

Post 3

Maria

why needlessly? if you have to repeat it, it´s because you NEED it...
what have I missed?

what you loath is to make mistakes?
to get angry because of your mistakes?
forgive yourself then.
Getting angry for those things is very unhealthy.
Your blood gets full of those substances that beside making you feel angry, they also leave a toxic print, and consume your energy,
and your inmune system is affected too,
you know, the stress is very negative, it can triggers lots of deseases...
relax, relax, breath... say an expletive, say a very silly expletive of your invention that helps to steam off your rage and at the same time helps you to smile... that is, smile, sigh, forgive you, and go on.

smiley - zen

Post 4

It can be my own mistakes or it can be the fault of others programing skills smiley - winkeye, in the example of a web page or form which crashes, losing information I've entered, (even if just a few lines of text from between saves).

Post 5

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I get soemthing simular, but under differnt circumstances; More often its when I've told someone something, asked something of them, or just asked a question, or reminded them of soemthing they should have done; And then, when its an intelligent person, they fail to do it... I really loath having to ask them/tell them again; Not least, as to my mind, its the implied 'oi, stupid told you this once already', kidn of implied in having to reitterate oneself to them, a second, or third time and, well, its just not nice even if only implying something like taht to another person smiley - blushsmiley - erm useually I don't get it so much with the examples mentioned above though, and can smiley - zen it off in such circumstances without really thinking about it smiley - dohsmiley - zensmiley - towel

Post 6

As for contolling it; I wish I could but it's involuntary and wells up in a micro-second before I can consiously stop it.

Post 7

That's quite funny-strange 2-legs; I'm the opposite. In your scenarios I'll usually be very patient (because I know that I'm often told stuff but don't actually *hear*. Unless of course it's obviously willfully ignored, then I would get angry.

Post 8

Oh... its when they've definately heard it, adn understood it, but chose to ignore it, or chose to 'forget' it... smiley - grrsmiley - zensmiley - zensmiley - grrsmiley - zensmiley - grrsmiley - doh

Post 9

Maybe it's just being human to get angry at such stuff. I sometimes think there's far too much ephasis on repressing natural emotions nowadays. I reckon that's more bad for you than the occasional outburst. Repressing emotions never did Vulcans any good in the long run smiley - winkeye

Post 10

Oh.. definately, in some ways... though I'm not entirely certain how good an emotion anger is to either be having or expressing... But mostly people don't let their emotions out as much as they could (or perhaps should?) smiley - zen Differnt ways of letting them out work for differnt people though, perhaps its as much as people not finding the right outlet for their emotions, as anything... smiley - ermsmiley - 2centssmiley - zen

Post 11

To control anger is definately beneficial to keep our modern society working, otherwise people would randomly start fights and have office punch-ups several times a day... but as long as one stops short of hitting (unless, really deserved..) I think it's counterproductive to keep screams and the punching of innanimate obejcts, pent up inside. But I am nonetheless suprised at just *what* makes me angry, as in my earlier examples.

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I feel that anger too, Winnoch, but I make quick estimates of how high on the scale of importance the problem is. If I'm upset because I forgot to get a can of tomatoes when I was just at the market, I let it slide, as I won't run out of them anyway, and the cost is not great. If it's a huge problem like going too fast around a curve and hitting some stuff that have probably done damage to my car, I empty my mind of everything *except* dealing with the situation.

So, I suggest that you learn to just empty your mind of whatever your plans for the day were if you get into something major.

Don't sweat the small stuff, but really focus on the big stuff.

But, yeah, laughing at the silly stuff that happens is good, too smiley - laugh.

Post 13

Hmmm... The main thing I get angry at/whith is myself I think smiley - blush I'm quite good at putting a SEP round everything else in teh world about me... and letting it all wash over me... smiley - zen I do get annoyed with the endless stream of people who can't read doornumbers, or indeed, with teh neighbour who is unable to know anyone who can read doornumbers. Got hastled by a rasta at my front door the other day,.... which I thought was taking the mic a bit really as it was starting to sound like he was intending to break his way through the door... smiley - peacedove pah... I was more rasta than he I thinks smiley - zensmiley - peacedovesmiley - weird Leroy's got a lot to answer for (99.7%% of people who ring my doorbell want Leroy, I guess he must be a neighbour as I can see 'Leroy's hub' wifi network, from my house ) smiley - zen but... Im always polite to them... when they ring my doorbell, I assume trying to score drugs... even when it does soemtimes happen at 4 AM smiley - zensmiley - peacedovesmiley - zensmiley - ermsmiley - alienfrownsmiley - zen

Post 14

This Leroy wouldn't happen to be meaner than a junkyard dog, would he? smiley - winkeye

Post 15

"but I make quick estimates of how high on the scale of importance the problem is".

There's a thing. At this moment in time I'm doing some data entry at work. We are loosley targetted on how much of this task we do but at the end of the day it's not that important and I wouldn't loose my job because my numbers are down.

The sytem we use for this data entry is awful. totally shocking. Amongst other little quirks, it clears the form you could've been working on for a few minutes, if it detects that you've entered something in an 'unexpected sequence'. Doesn't give you a chance to save, or give you an error message, it just clears your form smiley - grr.

Or , it'll let you finish the whole form, before gleefully telling you that the ref number you've used has been used before... and clear your form..

So, many times per shift doing this data entry i'll lose data i've been entereing and have to re-enter it. But this shouldn't really make me that angry. Sure, my numbers will be down, but nothing in my life will materially change and my colleugues/bosses wont think any less of me.. but still... everytime I lose work it makes me very very micro-angry despite it not really being important.

Post 16

I get into such a state of high concentration that I keep going no matter how many times I have to go back and re-enter data. I remember doing an online application for a Russian visa last Spring. I also endured some strange stuff while doing my income tax return online [for the very first time]. Getting it done is so important that no amount of work is too great. There are times when it pays to be obsessed! smiley - biggrin

Post 17

"This Leroy wouldn't happen to be meaner than a junkyard dog, would he?" smiley - laugh I have absolutely no idea... I've lived here err, 14 or 15 years, and neighbours have changed with increasingly regularity (think neighbours houses may be rental ones), and I've never, as yet, met a single neighbour smiley - shrug Anyhow.... I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but Leroy or his ilk don't frighten me for a minute.... smiley - zen I can out surreal myself of virtually any situation; like the time someone tried to mug me... I just spoke to them for a few minutes, in a surreal way, and they walked off smiley - zen violence is apporent the smiley - biro and smiley - headhurts (brain), is mightier smiley - zensmiley - peacedove gosh... I'm turning into such a hippy in my old age smiley - laughsmiley - zen

Post 18

Milla, h2g2 Operations

It happens to me all the time. Documents need to be printed over and over because "oops, I forgot to update the table of contents/cross reference to the third appendix/get the right signatories on the approval page/tweak the copy-paste text from the other document to this one"
I blame my ADD (2legs you're safe this time). And I can't waste energy on being angry about it, so I just sigh, and ask the trees for forgiveness.
smiley - towel

Post 19

smiley - grovelsmiley - xmastreesmiley - xmastree

Post 20

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more