A Conversation for Ask h2g2

JJ Abrams and his Star Treks

Post 41

Hoovooloo

" I'm intrigued that the original plan had a woman character doing [Spock]'s job "

It went further than that. The original plan had her bearing some of Spock's emotionally-suppressed characteristics. In the original pilot, Spock is more clearly emotional - grinning like a loon in delight at some singing plants, for example - while the first officer is so buttoned down she doesn't even have a name.

In some ways, the "no female first officer" could be seen as simple sixties sexism. You could look at it another way, though - it would inevitably and depressingly have led, sooner or later, to the 'letting-her-hair-down' storyline, she'd have ended up banging Kirk, and then where do you go with it? And knowing what we know of notorious womaniser Roddenberry, this is even more inevitable. Which makes the execs' ruling against it seem just sensible, and arguably massively improved what would otherwise have been a more formulaic show.

Whereas with Spock in that role, there was what is now called bromance, but there was no danger of it ever jumping the shark.

Post 42

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I saw the film last night. Quite a lot of exhilarating action. I never thought I'd see Spock running after Khan at top speed. I usually think of Spock calmly standing somewhere and giving lofty advice. This cast is built for action. Even Scotty finds himself running through an enemy starship.

Post 43

Orcus

Spock was always nails in fight!

One bit I particularly liked was when he tried the Vulcan shoulder-grip-stun thing on Khan and he screamed - but didn't go down. smiley - bigeyes

Post 44

Nails in fight? That sounds like a local idiom. What does it mean?

Post 45

Orcus

Hard as nails. Normal (British) English expression.

Post 46

smiley - doh

Thanks for explaining. smiley - smiley

Post 47

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

And since you are not familiar with the phrase, I will add that it should probably read "Spock was always nails in a fight" rather than "nails in fight".

Post 48

Orcus

Ah yes, sorry. Talking gibberish again! smiley - rolleyes

Post 49

We're like residents in a global village [a digital village, for that matter]. I find it intensely stimulating to come here and be part of other people's lives, nevertheless knowing that sometimes they'll say things I don't quite get, and I'll throw in an expression that I *thought* everyone else would get, but they don't. I'm not the same as I was ten years ago, when I was newby on h2g2. It's been a fun ten years. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post