A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Any Virgin media Broadband "superhub" users on here? (UK centric)

Post 1

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I was just browsing, and realised I can upgrade my broadband connection from it's current 20megabits to the proffered 60megabits (!!)

They charge an installation fee of £49.95 - does anyone know why?

And is it any good?

Post 2

So no-one then? smiley - erm

Any Virgin media Broadband

Post 3

Pastey

I've just got the standard 40 I think, not with a super hub. They'll be charging the installation fee I reckon to try and make some money back on the hardware itself.

Might be worth asking if they don't mind just sending it out and you install it yourself.

Although actually it might be that they need to send an engineer out to the exchange to hook two things together.

Post 4

Researcher 27380

I've got the bog standard Virgin package including broadband. (Through cable).

Originally broadband was through a 'router' which failed and it was upgraded to a Superhub. I had to replace it myself but it was fairly straightforward and involved a call to the service department to 'enable' it, but that was all.

The Superhub works quite well, but the 'on' light illuminates the room it's in. The Superhub hasn't got a very good reputation in the Virgin 'help' forum. But so far it's worked OK for me.

Deke

Post 5

winnoch2 - Biding my time..

As far as I'm aware, ALL virgin customers are being gradually upgraded in speed by at least 2x their current speed over the next 18 months or so. They're rolling out an upgraded network. So it's not something I'd expect you to have to pay a premium for if you're already a customer.

Post 6

Teasswill

We upgraded a little while ago, according to Virgin a necessity in order for us to have this available better speed. I think 'superhub' applies to all their new modems...

There was an optional installation charge, but I managed to instal it easily. I can't say I've noticed much difference other than we don't have to keep re-setting the modem like we used to. Checking the speed it is a little faster but not much. We only pay for moderate speed anyway.

Of course they say 'up to' speed such & such, it's not a promise. Although my neighbour took them to task as he was paying for optimum speed & was getting much less. I think they fixed it to some degree.

Post 7

Thanks guys!

Post 8

Still Incognitas,Still Chairthingy,Still lurking,Still invisible,unnoticeable,missable,unseen, just haunting h2g2

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/index.php

The above can provide you with any answers you need.

smiley - tea

Post 9

So I signed up. +£5 a month for a threeFold speed increase. They are posting me the hub and paying the courier fee (£20)

Assuming it works this will probably be worth it. I can stream movies finally!

Key: Complain about this post