The Pope Resigns - It's a fix!

Post 23

Icy North

{Peter Odemwinge has shown up in Vatican City}

smiley - rofl

Post 24

Secretly Not Here Any More

He seems keen on investing in that Death Star project on Kickstarter.

Something about "witnessing the power of this fully armed and operational battle station?"

Post 25

Pastey

I keep telling you, he found out I'd booked my trip there and decided to get out before the boss turned up and started asking awkward questions smiley - biggrin

Does anyone know who's on the shortlist for the next Pope? If any of them look like they need breathing equipment I'm running!smiley - run

Post 26

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - ok
British bookies are giving 3 to 1 odds
on a Canadian cardinal from Quebec.
He's been ranked as No2 all day while
the best No1 bet has changed around him.
smiley - bigeyes
~jwf~

Post 27

U14993989

How comes so many "hard-line" atheists claim to know so much about the bible. Is there a personal interest they're not declaring?

Post 28

U14993989

The etymology wizard (what's that?) suggests that catholic is a 14th century label and came into it's own during the counter-reformation. So what were "catholics" called before then?

Post 29

Dea.. - call me Mrs B!

Christians, I believe!

The word Catholic (from the Greek katholikos meaning 'from the whole') was used to describe those who believed the whole gumph of the Christian church, when there were dissenters and breakaway sects.

And the first use was in about 100 AD, looking at a quick google.

Post 30

Icy North

{British bookies are giving 3 to 1 odds on a Canadian cardinal from Quebec}

Well he's got the silly hat. Just not sure where he'll keep the horse. smiley - run

Post 31

HonestIago

In his lasagne. I understand it's a staple in Italy.

Post 32

U14993989

>> The word Catholic (from the Greek katholikos meaning 'from the whole') ... <<

So an equivalent word for catholic is "community" ?

Post 33

U14993989

Why all the references to horses? Surely the horse story is about the soul-less free-market religion og greed that most swear by?

Post 34

HonestIago

>>Surely the horse story is about the soul-less free-market religion og greed that most swear by<<

Yes, and Catholicism is the soul-less free-market religion of greed. Surely the parallels are obvious?

Post 35

tucuxii

BREAKING NEWS

Tony Blair has turned down the papacy as he is far too busy being the messiah.

Post 36

Geggs

"In his lasagne. I understand it's a staple in Italy."

Look, I know meat is meant to be a good source of iron, but surely putting staples in the thing is a step too far.

Geggs

Post 37

Pastey

What about the horseshoes?

Post 38

Pastey

Okay, back on topic a list of potential new popes has been released :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21415639

So, who would you like to see, who wouldn't you like to see, who do you think will get it, and why for all of those?

Not really looked into any of these guys yet, but from their short bios on the beeb article I like the sound of Gianfranco Ravasi, at least he seems to be educated and concerned with still teaching and learning.

Post 39

Secretly Not Here Any More

I'd like to see the complete dismantling of the Roman Catholic church, and the prosecution of every kiddie fiddler, the arrest of every priest that's helped the spread of AIDS through their ridiculous dogma, and the slapping every cardinal who's made himself richer through the suffering of his flock.

That or cardinal Turkson. He looks pretty cheerful.

Post 40

U14993989

Someone more assertive and vocal against financial inequality, a "protector" of cultural identity especially among remaining indigenous cultures. Someone from an academic as well as community - field anthropology based background.

Key: Complain about this post