A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Where did you come from and why?

Post 61

benjaminpmoore

Is anyone on h2g2 not from in or around stevenage?

Post 62

Orcus

Blimey.

OK, I was born in Stoke-on-Trent to Scottish parents.

However, I grew up in Bedford which is now, I understand things a bit better - scarily close to both Stevenage *and Hitching* smiley - yikes

Fortunately for me I left running at the age of 18 and have since lived in Oxford, Southampton, St. Andrews, Birmingham and (now) Cardiff.

I discovered hootoo through a housemate who I was having a conversation with about HHGTTG when I lived in Brum in 1999 and have been here ever since apart from an early Elvis for about a year in 2000. I came back just in time for Rupert.

Scarily however, one of my closest mate from when I was an undergrad works for GlaxoWellcome. Hence...

he works in Stevenage and...

lives in Hitchin smiley - yikes

Post 63

benjaminpmoore

This is becoming terrifying.

Post 64

Rod

Indeed it is, benjaminp, am I going to have to leave just because I don't?

Post 65

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Born in Bedford, in the thickest fog in modern memory. Ambulance missed the entrance and had to be directed in by the Midwife. Been late ever since.
Subsequently Yaxeley, Burton upon Trent and Ramsgate, which I consider my home town. Escaped to Manchester in 1978 to go to college (because relatives lived, and still live, in N W Manchester. Returned to Ramsgate in 1980 then moved to London in 1986 where I lived in a variety of areas but now in Brentford, soon to be renamed Kew Bridge... Probably.

And my link to Hitchin? My Paternal Uncle moved from Chesham to Hitchin 20 years ago and still lives there, and there Daughter lives in Letchworth. A small smiley - earth.

I came to hootoo back in 1999 through being bored while working in a Call Centre. I could only access Auntie Beeb websites, so while surfing I came across hootoo via Dr Who. Unfortunately I had my password saved on the computer and when we changed offices I couldn't remember it, so I had to sign up again. And here I've remained.

So my journey to hootoo is as convoluted as my journey to London.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 66

As an aside,using hootoo almost had me sacked, after I was caught using it.
It was only by judicious answering of questions and my long period of working for the company, and working on the democratic side of things, I saved my job, only to lose it when the position became redundant two years later.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 67

Sol

I think, so, Rod, yes. Sorry. Unless you move there forthwith. Go on, it's great.

Speaking of which, I shall be in the centre of the hootoo universe second week in April. Anyone actually wanna do the Leisure Park meet (or somewhere more respectable)?

Post 68

hygienicdispenser

I hadn't until now realised that Stevenage was a place. I thought it was an aspiration, to work towards becoming Steven.

Post 69

Baron Grim

Y'all lost me ages ago. I don't know Stevenage from Stevedores. The only Hitchens I know was an infamous atheist and personal hero of mine.

What do I know? I'm from Texas. smiley - shrug

Post 70

Thought that was a Fuel Company?

But what do I know? I'm only from the pink bit of the World map.

smiley - winkeye

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 71

Rod

Ah, Solnushka. I see you said "... move there forthwith" not 'here'

On this evidence, I stay.

Post 72

clare

I am from stardust smiley - magic
Also, I am an American smiley - magic
I found my way to h2g2 a couple of years ago from a google search.
I have read here ever since and only recently started posting.

smiley - towel

Post 73

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Is anyone on h2g2 not from in or around stevenage?" [benjaminpmoore]

I have no idea where Stevenage issmiley - huh. I was born in Clinton, Massachusetts and grew up in Bolton, which is next door to it. I now live in Boston, Massachusetts, which will have a new Mayor come next November. Mayor Tom Menino just announced that he will nto seek a sixth four-year term.

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy" used to be on the summer required reading list every summer in the Dedham [Massachusetts] schools. This intrigued me, so I read it one day and was hooked. Douglas Moore's passing produced a lot of stories, some of which mentioned that there was a Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy website, which I promptly joined.

Post 74

Mrs Zen

Born and raised in the Cotswolds (100 miles due west of London, but stop before you get to Wales).

I've lived in various parts of the UK - including Stevenage over the turn of the millennium - and now I live outside Edinburgh. I like living in Scotland very much indeed.

I got one of those invites in 1999 from the Starship Titanic people saying "come to the Digital Village, the water's lovely" (or sim'lar) and thought "that looks interesting, shame I'm too busy" (I was, too, being in the middle of changing career, getting a divorce and moving from Gloucestershire to Glasgow).

I arrived here a year or so later via the little ads for the site next to the Babelfish translation tool on the Alta Vista search engine. I was travelling a lot to work in Germany and Sweden so having an online social life was magical - I could take my friends around Northern Europe on my laptop.

So long ago now...

Ben

Post 75

SashaQ - happysad

I'm originally from North West England and found my way into h2g2 via the BBC Ouch messageboards - I noticed h2g2 in someone's conversation list, and had a look round, then the Beeb switched the smileys to the h2g2 ones, so I made use of the Smileys page, and then I decided to jump in and write an Entry in 2009, and off I went from there smiley - biggrin

Post 76

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Born in Ballinasloe (Co. Galway), and that's what was written on my UK passport, when I had one. My Irish passport says I was born in Co. Offaly, because that was my mother's place of residence at the time of my birth. Birr, Co. Offaly, to be precise, but Irish passports just want the county, not the town. Moved to Tullamore when I was two, and have been here ever since.

I really cannot recall how I first found h2g2, but I have a vague recollection that it was a result of a search for something about Tolkien. I was drawn in. This was the first place where I got to know people online, and still I love it. I've broadened my Internet presence since: I spend a lot of time on blogs these days, and at Stack Exchange, and I have my own websites, but I keep coming back here. I call hootoo my home on the Internet.

TRiG.smiley - lighthouse

Key: Complain about this post