A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Where did you come from and why?

Post 21

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I was born and live in Austria, a bit south of Vienna.

I found h2g2 by chance when searching for HHGTTG on the internet and I read about it in 'Don't Panic!'. I can't remember whaich came first. My parents agreed that maybe an internet connection would not be too bad when I started studying in 2004. I came back to h2g2 at that time and spent quite a while with lurking, then thought about a name for a month and finally signed up some time in February 2005.

Post 22

minichessemouse - practising the art of toddler taming, now with added bump!

I stumbled across the site in the school library when is was 13 or 14, but as i didn't have an email address (and didn't know how to get one) i couldn't sign up. I kept the knowledge of the site in the back of my mind though, as when i finally DID get an email address i joined up a few months later. I got accused of being a 2legs sock puppet, and have been mostly here ever since.

Oh born and bred on the west coast of Scotland, went to the East coast for a few years for uni and am now back on the west coast, albeit a different bit of it.

minismiley - mouse

Post 23

Mr. Dreadful - Neurodiversity, chaos magick, and cake

"I got accused of being a 2legs sock puppet"

The mind boggles!

Post 24

Whisky

Born in Norfolk, UK, lived in Kent, Wiltshire, Cumbria, Devon, Hampshire, Scotland, Derbyshire, Hampshire (again), Cumbria (again), West Sussex, Cumbria (for a third time)and finally moved to France... (One day they'll catch up with me smiley - run).

As to this place... Wanted to translate something one day and found an auto translation website called 'babelfish'... Wondered how on earth they'd gotten away with pinching that particular bit of copyright and followed a link at the bottom of the page to this site...

Signed up, read a bit, logged in about a week later to discover the site was off-line... Came back to it a couple of months latere to discover it had reappeared under the BBC.

Post 25

minichessemouse - practising the art of toddler taming, now with added bump!

*ferrets around in the bowels of h2g2 looking for the thread in question*

F103378?thread=4068227

Mr Dreadful (and anyone else who is curious about the whole 2legs sock puppet thing) please read the above linked thread. it gets a bit silly and weird though!

minismiley - mouse

Post 26

Mr. Dreadful - Neurodiversity, chaos magick, and cake

Phew... I was concerned it would involve smiley - handcuffs and smiley - pony...

Post 27

benjaminpmoore

Read the sock puppet threa- looks quite normal to me.

Incidentally, there was an education video series of various aspects of science explained by 2legs using a sock puppet. I believe the entire set is now sealed in a concrete bunker under a permenant armed gaurd.

Post 28

Baron Grim

I'm still from Texas. But how did I get to h2g2?

I was personally invited by Douglas Adams('s company, The Digital Village).

I've always been a big fan of the series since seeing the TV version on PBS in the US. I had all the books available at the time. I can't recall which was released first, this website or the game, Starship Titanic. I believe the game had finally just been released and I had registered through the game discs or I had registered with TDV to learn when it might eventually be released. Either way, I got an email that I've sadly lost long ago pointing the way here.

Post 29

lil ~ ACE/Scout/CE/Guru ~ Auntie Giggles ~ with added Nana title!

I was born on the Wirral. Raised in Ellesmere Port for the first fifteen years, then, due to family and work commitments, spent the next thirteen years between Wallasey and Birkenhead. Then I finally returned home.

My daughter, Vicki Virago, spent about two years telling me of the wonderful friends she'd made here. Almost nine years ago she opened an account in my old name "lil ol' me" as she thought it would help me to give up smoking - I did, but then became addicted to HooToo instead! smiley - magic

Wonderful Pheloxi named me 'Auntie Giggles' which I continue to use in his memory smiley - peacedove

lil x

Post 30

2legs; a thoroughly used sub sometimes with a purple collar, sometimes a black one.. Filthy funny and strange, apparently. incorruptible. - I am not a badger.

Re; the series of instructional videos I made for SEx.... The BBC is still refusing to show them... or give me the master tapes back... smiley - whistle

Post 31

deb - 33.5 down, 41 to go...creeping downwards again.

First ten years in Kent, next ten in Orkney, then Hertfordshire for 1½ years, London for 6½, and now South Staffs where I've lived happily for 17 years.

My first posting here was July 2001 so I think I came here as a result of reading about DNA following his death. I was originally called Chadsmoor Charlie which was where I lived at the time and my canary's name! Now I'm just Deb, which is my name.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 32

BeowulfShaffer

US
I came here because DNA mentioned the place several times in Salmon of Doubt.

Post 33

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - biggrin
I came here from a Red Dwarf site in Dec 2000.
Oh, I said, that link looks interesting.
And I never left.
smiley - towel
~jwf~

Post 34

benjaminpmoore

2legs- sorry, I did ask, but they mumbled something about an act of parliament.

Post 35

2legs; a thoroughly used sub sometimes with a purple collar, sometimes a black one.. Filthy funny and strange, apparently. incorruptible. - I am not a badger.

benjaminpmoore
- Last reply I got was muttering something about 'treason', and 'animal rights', or some such... smiley - ponysmiley - handcuffssmiley - badgersmiley - pandasmiley - whistle

Post 36

HonestIago

Scouser by birth, now living in West Yorkshire after spells in Manchester and Cornwall.

Came to the site by accident: I was a regular on the old Talk Buffy site and chatted a lot with egon about Buffy, Sex and the City and Everton FC, one day I followed some of his other conversations, found Ask and then stuck around. I think my first hootoo convo was about gay rights and I butted heads with ReddyFreddy, starting a trend. That was back in mid-2003 but I don't think I was a regular here (as opposed to Talk Buffy) until late 2003/early 2004

As for why I'm still here: I really like you guys. I often think myself quite lucky to be part of such an intelligent, eloquent and frequently hilarious community. You can start a conversation on almost any topic and there'll be someone who can speak knowledgeably about it.

Post 37

benjaminpmoore

I've read some of the report. They could never make the treason thing stick. There were a lot of complaints from farmers, though.

Post 38

Strangely enough I recall the complains from the pharmas, but not the farmers... Those big pharmacutacle companys worry me more than the farmers... They've got some serious solicitors and barasters behind them afterall.... smiley - doh

"..often think myself quite lucky to be part of such an intelligent, eloquent and frequently hilarious community..."
- You can't go round sayign things like that, then not* giving us the link to where this community of which you speak is.... smiley - whistle

Post 39

Pink Paisley

Born in the same maternity hospital as Will Carling - Bradford upon Avon, Wiltshire.

I now live in Clive, Benjaminpmoore and Solnushka country - Hitchin (Are you still here Solnushka?). What is it with this place?

I honestly can't remember why I came here, I just wandered in and can't find the exit.

PP

Post 40

benjaminpmoore

TTHERE IS NO EXIT.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more