A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Olympic what?

Post 121

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

We still need 5 more medals to keep this from being our worst Games in a century. Not that I doubt we'll manage it, but we're not there yet.

Olympic what?

Post 122

Bluebottle

It's only Day 5.

<BB<

Olympic what?

Post 123

Orcus

2 Golds now - go Wiggo! (or went smiley - bigeyes)

Olympic what?

Post 124

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Is there anyone who can now challenge Wiggins for Sports Personality of the Year? I note that at least one bookmaker has him at 4-7 (on).

Olympic what?

Post 125

SiliconDioxide

No comment on Wiggins himself, but I always thought that it took more personality to lose with good grace than it did to win smuggly.

Olympic what?

Post 126

Orcus

Sports Personality has always been badly named though. Many of its winners could easily have had "-lack of-" inserted there quite readily.

I like Wiggins, he's rough and ready and has no-truck with the media expectations and ettiquette and just gets on with it.

How come I had hardly heard of him before this year? smiley - erm
I'm not exactly an avid-watcher of cycling but I do know Pendleton, Hoy, Boardman and Cavendish but Wiggins seems to have hidden under the radar (at least for me) until Le Tour a few weeks back.
(I think I vaguely remember the name from the last Olympics but he was overshadowed I guess by Hoy et al.)

Olympic what?

Post 127

Effers;England.

Yes I like Wiggins as well for his slightly unpredictable character...and he's kind of innocent and not at the same time.

But he'll make a buck now...and good luck to him...but I'd never think that was a primary motivation. He has 'heart'

This is funny. An ancient cycle shop for a Fred Perry shoot. There's one in Peckham as well that's truly weird as well. It's been there forever. Passed down from father to son.

Anyway here's the Wiggo, link.

http://www.modculture.co.uk/fred-perry-x-bradley-wiggins-cycling-jersey-range/

(Trying to look cool smiley - laugh)

Olympic what?

Post 128

I still think of Hoy and Wiggins in a very similar light. The only major difference between them in my mind is that Wiggins has branched onto the road, while Hoy continues to focus on the track.

Olympic what?

Post 129

swl

Good to see Great Britain and the colonies leading the medal table, with China in second .

Olympic what?

Post 130

Are they? By my count, "we" only have 16 golds (USA: 11, UK: 2, South Africa: 2, Australia: 1) to China's 17, so they are _still_ ahead of even the combined total.

Olympic what?

Post 131

swl

Does France count as a colony, given we owned half of it? smiley - tongueincheek

Olympic what?

Post 132

Orcus

You could count China itself in some ways smiley - winkeye

Olympic what?

Post 133

Well, the Yanks have gone and taken the 4*200 women's freestyle relay, which puts "us" on equal golds, and with "our" combined haul of silvers "we" come out comfortably ahead. There's life in the Old World yet...

Olympic what?

Post 134

Secretly Not Here Any More

Why's everyone so impressed* with a jolly around France and a few laps of London?

THIS is endurance riding! And in a rickshaw no less!

http://www.chenolympicrickshaw.com/route/

*I do know why, it's because it's brilliant...

Olympic what?

Post 135

Orcus

Good to see he did his research and kept it a nice safe touristic route. No war zones at all on the way

Olympic what?

Post 136

Orcus

As an interesting comparison, I did a satnav check on my cycling route to work yesterday - and admittedly deliberately circuitous 22 km which is conveniently precisely half the distance Wiggo and co did yesterday.

I wasn't expecting to be their equal but they did twice the distance in less time than I took to do half what they did smiley - erm (took me a slightly improved 59 mins this morning)
Still I blame the fact that I do slightly more farmland than them plus they don't have to stop at traffic lights or deal with pedestrians spanning the cycle lanes! smiley - winkeye

Olympic what?

Post 137

Beatrice

Ooooh, well done the rowers! Especially to 2 brothers who share my maiden name and come from my old stomping ground of Coleraine. I better update that Guide Entry, I suppose....

Olympic what?

Post 138

highamexpat

I read somewhere that GB is the only nation that has taken a Gold medal at everyone of the modern Olympics.

Olympic what?

Post 139

Bluebottle

That's true (America boycotted the Moscow Games).

We win!

<BB<

Olympic what?

Post 140

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

We have owned, or did own, or tranced at war, all of the other countrys... thus we win smiley - snork
smiley - grr
smiley - grr
I loath and hate the use of the 'we' in that sense... Football supporters do it all the time, and its such a wrong use of the word...
'We won the cup!', No. no you* didn't, the team* you* support did... your not in the team.... smiley - grrsmiley - weird
But then... I've never followed any sport as a spectator, the idea of spectating at sport, or 'following' a team, just, makes no sense to me whatsoever, smiley - ermsmiley - weird

Who's winning the dressage though? smiley - ponysmiley - handcuffs

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more