A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Olympic Diary (London Centric)

Post 41

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Still shocked that Cliff didn't feature in teh opening ceramony... Unless they're saving him up for the closing ceramony smiley - wow

Post 42

Pink Paisley

But Macca? Why?

It made no sense in context with the rest of the show at all.

(And last time I went to Glastonbury there was a 10th century (?) chapel up top, not a tree.)

PP

Post 43

Hence why it should have been Cliff... I told Blair that... I told Brown that, and I told Gleggy and Cammy that too... But would they listen... smiley - grr

Post 44

Pink Paisley

Mr Godsquad would have been just as pointless. Blair, Brown, Cleggy and Cammy asked me about it and said that you had mentioned him. I warned them off.

It was brilliant to see Mike Oldfield having a part to play though. would love to have a full version of that version of Tubular Bells, with the swing vibe to it.

PP.

Post 45

smiley - bigeyes But Cliff.... he's a national Icon... though I think he'd have struggled, at the olympic ceramony... the UK weather was against a Cliff song... no rain... smiley - doh

Post 46

You can call me TC

I had somehow assumed that Cliff would be there, too (and Tom Jones). But looked at from this perspective (i.e. abroad) Macca was the only option really.

I stayed up and watched the whole thing. The German commentary was pants, but I couldn't get my wifi to work near the TV so I could listen to the 5 Live commentary parallel to watching.

Doubt if I'll be watching much of the sport, but I didn't want to miss the opening ceremony. Was Danny Boyle actually visible at any point, or was he in a room full of control panels somewhere?

Post 47

U168592

I'm just happy the strains of the TARDIS could be heard in the 1970s music bit...smiley - tardis

Post 48

Pink Paisley

I'm still not swept up by it, and am amazed at the way some folks seem to be.

Mrs PP has booked tickets for herself and a friend to see Rowing. I don't think she has ever even HELD an oar. She is going on a day when there seem to be 4 races, all finals of which you will only get to see the end. For most of the time the rowers will be dots in the distance. It looks to me as though there will only be about 30 minutes actual racing. Tickets £35 + £12 parking (all day parking even though there are only 4 races all day and the last is at about 10:30 a.m.)

Then she is going to see ONE semi in the women's basket ball (which is inexplicably NOT in the basketball stadium on the Olympic park, but stuck out at the O2 Arena or whatever it is called this week). I don't think she even knows how many people there are on each side. Tickets £85!

But she is just a beginner at getting carried away.

I hear that there are tickets still available for the gymnastics at just £450 each. Stand back. Don't get trampled in the rush.

Sessions seem to be no more than 3 hours generally.

She is surprised that I was slightly less than indifferent when asked if I would like to go and see 'something'. But what? Oh, anything!.

I'm a big football fan, but this competition is a meaningless mangle of teams that are not really representative of anything. And I doubt that football really belongs here.

Still not getting it.

Looking forward to track and field though.

PP.

Post 49

Icy North

Those rowing tickets sound really good value. smiley - smiley

I didn't realise it was a requirement that we should have actually touched a piece of sporting equipment in order to deserve the right to watch it. Would you object to people watching Greco-Roman wrestling if they weren't regular users of baby oil? smiley - biggrin

Post 50

Pink Paisley

Not at all, but I would have anticipated some prior interest.

As for the wrestling, there are 'clubs' all year round in Soho, you know.

PP.

Post 51

Sol

My parents were at the rowing today. Don't know how they got on, but I hadn't realised previously that you get free travel, train tickets and the like, thrown in to the price of the ticket for the day of the ticket. Not sure how far that extends, but that's not bad.

Post 52

Icy North

That explains why the trains were so packed this morning smiley - smiley

Nice to see the Team GB gymnasts win a bronze medal. I once heard that their favourite apparatus is the floor, as it's the only thing they can't fall off.

Post 53

U168592

The mexican squad are good too. One tequila, two tequila, three tequila...floor!

Post 54

U168592

I'll get me coat smiley - run

Post 55

If only punning was made an olympic sport.... smiley - zen

Post 56

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I have to say, some people are getting rather hyperbolic about the Olympic opening ceremony. Of course, opinions vary, but if you ask me, it was very good. Not "brilliant!!!" Very good. Some lovely touches, very few mis-steps in an area filled with potential stumbling blocks, and the whole held together well. It certainly didn't blow me away though, not like some of Danny Boyle's actual movies.

Post 57

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Getting the train tickets included, as well as helping with value makes it much easier for internationals who would otherwise have severe trouble trying to navigate dealing with our tube ticket system

You still have to buy tickets to connect with the tickets given obviously

Do we get tickets getting us to Dorney? If so that would be very good value indeed...were we not driving there

I know Dorney has miles of car parking space...but they are indeed miles from the rowing - it will be a fair walk

Shame I'm not going on Friday to see our Girl's doubles - FIVE seconds off the olympic record! Just in a heat

Post 58

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Is anyone else having difficulty navigating the London 2012 official website? It seems unnecessarily difficult to establish certain key facts through it,e.g. the constituent members of today's bronze-winning "Men's 8" rowing team, or the bib numbers of the competitors in the road cycling two days before the event (when I had an opportunity to look for them). The latter would have made a big difference in how aware I was of events as I stood at the roadside.

Post 59

U168592

I agree, not awfully user friendly. I'd like to show my support for athletes using the facebook function, but find it very difficult.

Post 60

Pink Paisley

The BBC coverage often seems a bit odd.

Between events, or after things like the football, there seems to be a lack of comment or chatter. the sound just fades to vague background noise.

PP.

Key: Complain about this post