A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Can we discuss sensetive topics maturely?

Post 1

quotes

Do you fear being scorned about merely discussing certain subjects?

For example, when Princess Diana died, there was an unspoken insistence that it was not decent to criticise the mawkish outpourings of the nation. Later on, many commentators felt able to speak about how awful they found this sentimentality, but at the time, they felt they couldn't. Other subjects remain difficult to discuss; if you started a topic criticising the Paralympic Games, you'd be a monster, and if your topic be genetics, you'd risk being labelled a nazi.

Do you have such a subject?

Post 2

Dr Anthea - Artist, Ninja, Potter..?

if you talk about religion your accused of being a simpleton with an imaginary friend...

Post 3

Peanut

I have always admired how you handle that with dignity smiley - doctor Anthea

Post 4

Icy North

You're defining what is a taboo. We've always had them, and they change through the generations. The Victorians wouldn't discuss death, for example.

20th-century ones included sex and politics, but we've started the 21st century with race, religion, and, as this week has shown, speech impediments.

Post 5

clzoomer- a bit woobly

....and now family.

smiley - sadface

Post 6

Still Incognitas,Still Chairthingy,Still lurking,Still invisible,unnoticeable,missable,unseen, just haunting h2g2

Yep because some such discussions just descend to the nur,nur level and become a flame fest because one or two of us cannot make a point politely and accept that others do not hold the same viewpoint.

It then becomes a tedious to and thro circular discussion at which point most sensible folk leave the discussion. smiley - erm

Can we discuss sensitive topics maturely?

Post 7

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I couldn't have put it better myself Incognitas. I sometimes read the first page of posts, and then get so bored with pontification by those who can only ever accept their own view of things and like to shout other points of view down. Or worse, drown them out in lengthy posts which make my eyes glaze over.

Life isn't like that - everyone's view is valid up to a point - ie where illegality, common decency and so on overlap with personal morality and belief. I quite like hearing other people's versions of things - even if it's only to listen to them, and raise my eyebrows! smiley - yikes

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

>>if you talk about religion your accused of being a simpleton with an imaginary friend...

That has to be one of the worst things about h2g2 smiley - sadface

Talking about US foreign policy was really hard for quite some time after Sept 11 2001.

It was also taboo to talk about discomfit at the mawkishness of some public displays of emotion around that time.

Post 9

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

For the record I don't think religious people are stupid. smiley - erm

I remain puzzled to this day by the onslaught of bad reasons and insufficient evidences I encounter in enquiring about why people are religious - and frankly don't understand why anyone is.

Certainly there are stupid reasons deployed stupidly, but I resist the temptation to think anyone engaged in those pursuits themselves stupid or indeed malicious, unless other evidence pertains to those conclusions but religious belief itself is not the sole and only criteria and never has been.

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni

*would love to discuss the 19th-century view of death with Icy, but refrains from straying smiley - offtopic*

Maybe the reason people can't discuss sensitive topics well is more because they always feel the need to express their own opinions forcefully first? Sort of as a defence mechanism? (Is it fear of brainwashing?)

For instance, I have no idea what Clive means by 'religious people', so I couldn't possibly discuss it - although I wasn't raised to consider religion a 'sensitive topic', quite the opposite.

Where I hail from, the question is, 'Oh! You're a Three-Seed-in-the-Spirit, Footwashing-and-Anointing Primitive Baptist. I always wondered - what brand of soap do you use when washing feet religiously?'

smiley - whistle

Post 11

Effers;England.

>and frankly don't understand why anyone is.<

That's because so much discussion is reduced to the simpleton level of 'imaginary friend'.

Religion is a highly complex cultural phenomenon which has been around for hunderds of thousands of years. Human are myth and story makers..it can bind societies together..and in many instances inspire art and music. It can fulfill deep needs. I've heard that described as 'cowardice'. Ritual is not the same as 'organised power structures' that really are about politics.

All the time this lumpen term 'religion' is used and reduced to 'imaginary friend' the predictibility and narrowness of discussion is as inevitable as night following day.

There's been less of that of late however, and the 'unexpected reality' thread was *at times* a breath of fresh air, with a bit of dancing going on..and no sign of boxing that I saw.

Post 12

Effers;England.

Referring to h2g2 discussions in my post. This doesn't happen in real life for me.

Post 13

Peanut

Israel is a tricky one

Post 14

KB - he really is a groovy cat, he's a gentleman, a scholar and an acrobat!

There are certain things I wouldn't bother discussing here, because they would become a bit of a free-for-all. Yes, we can discuss them maturely, but sometimes you have to "define your terms" so much that it isn't worth the bother.

Post 15

Dmitri Gheorgheni

I like that, Effers. More dancing, less boxing. smiley - biggrin

Post 16

Peanut

My concern is that people are saying there there are topics that they can discuss maturely, even ones that might be sensitive but that can't discuss them here

I am going to chance my arm here and say I think that the majority, nay, the vast majority of researchers can in fact discuss things even of a senstive nature in a mature fashion yet because of the small minority that can't they are unable to, or don't feel inclined too

I do not accept the premise often put forward that because this is teh interwebs we have to accept trollish behaviour or bugger off. We do not, especially on a website that is run by the community for the community

Also if this is an issue for a significant number of researchers is means that our moderation system is not yet robust enough to deal with the small minority

Which is something that can not be discussed

Post 17

paulh. Come visit Blemnox at A87815181

"Can we discuss sensetive topics maturely?"

Yes, we can. Many of us do.

Post 18

Mr. X---> "Mazes for Men, Houses for Hamsters!"

I agree with Clive.

Also, if you happen to like America despite its flaws, and say so, people will sometimes get very angry with you. The worst part being that the "arguments" against are often just hate-filled rants which are completely divorced from reality.

But I digress.

smiley - pirate

Post 19

paulh. Come visit Blemnox at A87815181

I think we're going to have to discuss what the U.S. is doing from time to time. It can't be escaped. We'll just have to try to be as mature as we can.

For the record, when you live in a country you see its strong points and flaws from close up. Frankly, I'm relieved when people from other countries fail to notice flaws that I can see. smiley - whistle

No one can help the country he or she lives in. The criticism by others may rankle, but deciding whether to move elsewhere is not a matter of escaping criticism from people on the Internet. *Every* country has flaws. Every single one. If you like the neighborhood you live in, you'll stay there unless your job or family connections pull you somewhere else....

Post 20

Maria { * }

<<Later on, many commentators felt able to speak about how awful they found this sentimentality, but at the time, they felt they couldn't<<

Didn´t they ask psycologists or social psychologists about that issue?
Surely they´d have offered an answer, not a simple one for sure.
But it´s easier to label all those people as stupid with our rational brush.

To make generalisations is the main problem when discussing any issue.

As someone has said, religion is a very complex fenomenon and religious people are as different among them as people are everywhere.
Among the Pope and those south American priests who are prosecuted for defending the rights of poor people there´s an abismal difference.
But who knows that? who is interested in the Liberation Theology?

meh! I can´t be arsed with that, I´ve got a rational brush dipped in logical analysis and Physics,astronomy... that enables me to tar religious people as morons.

<<Do you fear being scorned about merely discussing certain subjects?<<
It seems to me that the religious folks here are probably NOW the only ones who would have quite a lot of other folks stepping into a discussion to avoid abuse.

For the rest of topics and situations, I can´t say... Well, I can say that there´s a tendency to grab the smiley - popcorn and don´t care if someone is being abused/insulted.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more