A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Video games

Post 1141

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - ok Thanks for the warning. I'm still looking forward to seeing it.smiley - smiley

Video games

Post 1142

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I'm currently playing a couple of rather good racing games - Fast and Furious Showdown and Grid 2.

Hubby and I have also gone 'old school' are playing Gears of War (the first one) on Insane. There's a rather annoying glitch that means we sometimes can't push a car far enough (it gets caught on rubble) It's a swine. But hey, think of the cheevo points, Mags...smiley - winkeye

Tomorrow, hopefully, I shall be playing Skylanders SwapForce with my son.

Please let arrive on launch day smiley - grovel

Video games

Post 1143

Bagpuss

Well, I'm now on Fallout: New Vegas. In fact the fourth and last bit of DLC that came with the version I got. I believe I've clocked up close to 120 hours of gameplay. smiley - yikes

Video games

Post 1144

I played that one too forever, Baggers.

My longest one was Final Fantasy VII, mind. Nearly 200* hours of gameplay. I *had* to get Knights of the Round, needed a Golden Chocobo to get there (you had to walk on water). To get a Golden one, you had to breed them and then race them until you finally, finally bred a Golden one - I can't remember whether you had to race that one to get it's ability, but...hours and hours and hours...They were quite rubbish after all that, but I am a completist. Had to be done. smiley - biggrin

*I'm *not going to tell you about the time my eldest son overwrote my 120 hours and how very, very annoyed I was.

Video games

Post 1145

Vip

I admit I cheated with FFVII and looked up which Chocobos to breed together. Even with that it still took absolutely ages to get each one, rece to S class, breed, train the next one etc. etc.. And then I never used Knights of the Round because a) the cut scene took too long and b) it was so overpowered that I considered it unsportsmanlike. But then, I could never get powerful to take on Ruby or Emerald weapon.

I'm still chipping away at Skyrim. Probably over 150 hours so far, but done over nearly two years. It would be nice to have more time to dedicate to it but hey. At least it is good relaxation time when I do.

smiley - fairy

Video games

Post 1146

sprout

Xcom, currently. I always find turn by turn so much more relaxing.

sprout

Video games

Post 1147

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

X-com was tremendous. Haw difficult was it on the harder settings though. Not being able to save in mission and when stuff started to go WROOOOOOOOONNNNG....

Turn based or not I had full on panics a few times.

FB

Video games

Post 1148

Hubby played X-com can't remember whether he tried it on the harder difficulty, mind.

Skylanders Swapforce for me today

My new Hex looks really smiley - cool

Video games

Post 1149

Bagpuss

I believe I completed XCOM in Ironman mode, but only on standard difficulty. Superb game - may well pick up some DLC when Steam puts it on sale again.

Video games

Post 1150

Dogster

Rogue Legacy is an awesome indie game which you can pick up for around $10 I think - highly addictive and replayable. I've pretty much stopped playing it now that I finally managed to complete it, but I put in many hours at that.

So many games in my unplayed backlog now. Steam seems to be doing ridiculous sales all the time now, not just for the summer sale, and I can't stop myself. smiley - winkeye

Video games

Post 1151

HonestIago

Games on Gold for the Xbox means I have a bunch of unplayed games. Halo 3, which I'd never pay money for, is next on my playlist.

Bought Saints Row 4 a few weeks ago and enjoyed every demented second of it. So ludicrously stupid and cartoonish and absolutely great fun.

Video games

Post 1152

Bagpuss

Playing Fallout, as in the original one. Where you're allowed more than one follower at a time.

I considered Rogue Legacy, but I have a load of stuff to play (even if a lot of it's demos). I used to play a few roguelikes, so it'd be pretty nostalgic I expect.

Video games

Post 1153

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Loved X-Com, especially on iron man mode. Will return to it when the next expansion comes out....

Currently playing Fallout New Vegas. I'd agree with what Mr Dreadful said (back in August) about F3 seeming bleak and humourless by comparison. I found I could only play F3 in fairly small bursts before the ruin and the desolation and despair started to seep into me and leave me feeling melancholy...

Has anyone mentioned 'Faster than Light' yet? A lot of fun, and I've still not completed it on normal difficulty... got to the penultimate battle....

Video games

Post 1154

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

FTL was just too damn hard. I just couldn't do it. Got frustrated in the end. I like games to be tricky but when they are so hard you are actually getting properly angry not really sure it is worth it.

FB

Video games

Post 1155

sprout

I loved FTL, but too random/frustrating to play on normal. Only finished it once on easy, with the Rock missile machine.

sprout

Video games

Post 1156

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Am I the only one that rarely steps above the easiest difficulty? I just aim to get through the content, and it doesn't matter if it's not presenting any particular challenge. In fact, if it is presenting a challenge, I will probably fail as I'm not much good at games, so I want to keep it nice and easy.
The main exception is if there is additional content in the harder modes, e.g. additional extra-hard missions, more complex gameplay mechanics, etc. Otherwise, I'd feel like I am just making a rod for my own back.
Having said that, the last game I played was Sengoku Basara, and that really was a bit too easy on the easiest mode, so that I almost had to step it up to stop the game flowing past me and winning itself.

Video games

Post 1157

Vip

I don't go for hard thing either (although, like you, they need to present a challenge). I have so little free time that I don't want to squander it having to learn levels by hard, or memorising button combinations etc.. I need something I can dip in and out of.

smiley - fairy

Video games

Post 1158

sprout

I just like to find my level. Civ 5 on Settler would be ridiculously easy, for example. Prince is fine, or step up to King for a change.

sprout

Video games

Post 1159

It depends on the game. I usually go for the easiest possible setting on the racing games because there's not often an achievement for doing it on anything harder (I rarely venture into the online muliplayer options if the game has them).

Other games tend to be played on normal and then I go for the harder ones. I'm currently replaying the first Gears of War on Insane with hubby - it *is* quite insane, particularly in some places. The later games were better in that only one of you needs to play on insane and the other can play on casual and basically just steam in and kill everything in sight.

Video games

Post 1160

Bagpuss

If a game's too easy I get bored. However, if I get stuck at a point I also get bored. There have been games where I've upped the difficulty to make it interesting, and then got fed up because the boss fight is now way too hard.

Key: Complain about this post