A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 16101

ITIWBS

Appalling facts of life about the Israeli-Palestinian situation; the moderates on bother sides are in more danger from their own extremists than from the opposing side; the worst neighborhood in the world has inspired untold generations to extremes of desperation to impose their concepts of order on the larger community, by means of the worst applications of chaos they can devise.

It is for that reason the place is called 'the Holy Land'.

Post 16102

ITIWBS

smiley - biro'bother'>>>'both'

Post 16103

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - ok
'Bother' works quite well in this context, said Pooh.
smiley - silly
~jwf~

Post 16104

U14993989

When the government introduced student tuition fees "to save taxpayers money" it was known by some that they were lying (allegedly) & recent statements from Mr Willets saw him move away from that viewpoint. It was introduced for purely conservative ideological reasons (allegedly) for the creation of an internal market within higher education. More on those savings to the taxpayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28405544

Post 16105

U14993989

that should be when they tripled student fees (rather than introducing student fees) ...

Post 16106

tucuxii

"Mr Willets"

"Two brains" - just like a Stegosaurus one the size of a walnut and one the size of a peanut in its arse.

Post 16107

tucuxii

Liberal Democrat MP David Ward is to be disciplined for "vile comments" in a tweet that said -

"The big question is if I lived in Gaza would I fire a rocket - probably yes"

While I don't condone the actions of Hamas I can understand the anger and frustration of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank. I also wonder what the response would have been if he had tweeted -

"The big question is if I lived in Tel Aviv would I fire a missile - probably yes"

or

"The big question is if I lived in Jerusalem would I support the occupation of the West Bank - probably yes"

Somehow I do not think he would be disciplined and I do not think his peers would regard such comments as "vile" - double standards?

Post 16108

Icy North

He's on a hiding to nothing ever since Israel became the 52nd US state.

Post 16109

ITIWBS

...after Sicily?

Post 16110

swl

He's a LibDem - ask him again tomorrow.

Post 16111

ITIWBS

...on Israel & Hamas, in political conditions where traditionally the moderates on both sides are in more danger from their own extremists than from the opposing side, the extremists on both sides seem to be intent on reversing that with respect to the internal politics of the opposing side, such are the emotively paradoxical histrionic politics of a bipolar dichotomy of univalent extremists carried to pathological extremes...

Post 16112

tucuxii

"...after Sicily?"

No after Tony Blair land a largely fictional poncipality located in George W Bushes rectum

Post 16113

Icy North

{...such are the emotively paradoxical histrionic politics of a bipolar dichotomy of univalent extremists carried to pathological extremes.}

You can say that again.

Post 16114

Fuchsia

Perhaps a case of using Twitter rather than something other medium?

http://alittleecon.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/hysterical-reaction-to-david-ward-tweet-amounts-to-an-attempt-to-stifle-free-speech/

Post 16115

ITIWBS

Hypothetical constructive dialogue:

Israel to the Palestinians on Hamas: "We wish you stop doing all your power to build political solidarity around our anti-Palestinian extremist factionals." (Unthinkable.)

Palestine to the Israelis: "We wish you would stop doing all in your power to build political solidarity around our anti-Israeli political extremist factionals." (Even more unthinkable.)

As a matter of fact Bill Clinton took that line at the Camp David peace talks.

That approach failed utterly.

Rationality and reason prevailed with neither side.

Now, serious question, how would Richard M. Nixon have put that?

I mean Richard M. Nixon, not George W. Bush.

(By the by, there were people in the USA who thought Tiny Blair a bad influence on George W. Bush.

Nothing like a politics of histrionic paradoxical reaction.)

Post 16116

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

Meanwhile in space...

"...a study into the effects of weightlessness on mating."

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/24/space-sex-gecko.html

smiley - rocketsmiley - tekcor

smiley - yikes
~jwf~

Post 16117

U14993989

"...a study into the effects of weightlessness on mating."

jeez sigh an' tsk-tsks, using the public purse to satisfy there own voyeuristic needs smiley - facepalm

Post 16118

tucuxii

According to the BBC this morning the mission is grave danger of dropping out of orbit and crashing - so I guess the geckos will really get to feel the earth move

Post 16119

tucuxii

Well this gives some insight into how our politicians reach decisions and into the basis of their predictions about future events...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28464009

As traditionalists the Conservatives prefer reading entrails, but Eric Pickles getting scoffing them before they could be studied

Post 16120

ITIWBS

On political astrology, it is a legimate public opinion issue.

There is a considerable body of public opinion guided by astrology.

Key: Complain about this post