A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 17161

You can call me TC

As should Giles Brandreth.

Post 17162

hammondorgan

I love this, 75% of social psychology studies, we're talking really prestigious studies here, including some by the famous Stanford University, cannot be replicated, they repeat the study, or experiment or whatever you want to call it and the results are totally different! Did you see the figure today, over 2000 people have died a few weeks after being assessed as fit for work by benefit agency assessors! Apparently the data hasn't been analysed yet, how many suicides etc, but you can bet your boots the whole policy is based on some dodgy psychological study which happens to fit in with current government policy. Too many cooks. https://archive.is/SICeP

Post 17163

ITIWBS

Its incredible how many people in the social sciences don't know what a chi square test is or how to apply one.

...and many political axe grinders are utterly lacking in empathy.

Post 17164

Cheerful Dragon

Some of the problem is that the people doing the assessments don't always understand the conditions they are assessing. For example, I suffer from MS. I've lost count of the number of fellow sufferers who have been turned down for disability benefits (DLA, ESA) on the grounds that they'll get better after a few sessions of physiotherapy. They then have to go to appeal. The whole thing is way too stressful. It wouldn't surprise if there were suicides amongst the 2000 dead.smiley - cross

Post 17165

Cheerful Dragon

I should mention that physio can help MS sufferers to stay mobile or alleviate muscle problems. What it won't do is get somebody to throw away their walking sticks or offer any other kind of dramatic improvement to their condition.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more