A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 7301

Pink Paisley

Ghostbusters is one of my favourite films of all time.

Book of Life - Animation based on the day of the dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBw5YScs8iQ

Lovely to look at but somehow unsatisfying. There were a couple of laugh out loud moments.

PP.

Post 7302

Pink Paisley

Original Ghostbusters trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntAEVjPBzQ

PP.

Post 7303

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I goofed! "Bets of me" should have been "Best of me." smiley - blush

Post 7304

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

The Maze Runner. It reminded me of The Hunger Games which wasn't everyone's cup of tea if I remember correctly. But I loved that and am eagerly awaiting the final two-parter, and I enjoyed Maze Runner, which I assume will also have a follow-up (considering the ending, which I won't spoil).

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 7305

Pastey

Just watched Serenity again, after having watched all of Firefly last week.

I really do like both the series and the film, one of the better TV to film moves I've seen. Although I did notice a couple of inconsistencies this time, but they're so small as to not ruin it at all.

I do really wish they'd make more Firefly though.

Post 7306

I saw "Interstellar" last night. It was almost three ours long, but
I sat there unwilling to give up, as Cooper [the main character] stayed determined that there had to be a way out of disaster. He turned out to be right, in a sort of fifth-dimensional way. You have to see the movie to really understand it. smiley - bigeyes.

Post 7307

Pastey

A Million Ways To Die In The West.

I'm not overly sure of this film, it could have been so good, but it kept lapsing into adult themed toilet humour. If it had kept that out it could well have been one of the funniest recent films.

Post 7308

Pink Paisley

Mr Turner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKlo2xWvuI

Good and bad.

Bad.

It was a biopic. Liberties were taken.
It was slow.
It was long (45 minutes could have been lopped off it probably).

Good.

Timothy Spall was his usual brilliant self.
The cinematography was sumptuous and all of the wide shots could have been Turner paintings.

PP.

Post 7309

Pastey

I saw Young Ones recently. Nothing to do with the TV series.

It's a slow moving story, I don't know for sure but I reckon it might be a book adaptation, and a faithful one at that. It was well acted, well filmed and was a really good watch. What it's not however is a fast paced action adventure. But it is a good film.

Post 7310

Pink Paisley

The Hobbit Strikes Back.

There was fighting in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAgTiBrrDA

PP.

Post 7311

Pastey

Watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Both the Swedish and American version, and have to say that the Swedish version is far better. The actors were far more convincing and the whole thing seemed far more real.
The only thing better with the American version was the music.

Post 7312

quotes

Just saw the new Mad Max trailer; there were lots of pretty explosions but no evidence of acting.

Post 7313

With car troubles and frequent long choral rehearsals, I had no chance to see movies this week. Nor were there any I wanted to see -- among those I hadn't already seen. I refuse to see any more "Hunger games" movies; the latest one is tying up six of the 15 screens at my local megaplex smiley - erm. Starting yesterday, there's a new crop of new movies, so I hope there'll be some worth seeing.

Post 7314

Reality Manipulator

I too watched the Hobbit: The Battle of the five armies, full of thrills and spills and at the end it was moving with the deaths of Thorin, Kili and Fili which was extremely heart breaking and I am not ashamed to say it, was crying at the end as it was beautifully done.

Post 7315

You can call me TC

I saw Interstellar last week. I couldn't believe it was a Christopher Nolan film. The music, too, was terrible. Couldn't believe it was Hans Zimmer. I thought those two were supposed to be among the best in their fields.

Post 7316

There seemed to be major holes in the plot, I'll give you that. A greatly diminished society with poor technology is supposed to somehow find a way to transport billions of Earth humans to another planet? Please!

Greg Keyes was hired to turn the filmscript into a novel. I pity him! The story line desperately needed improvement, but improvement would have made it diverge from the movie story too much. smiley - sadface

Post 7317

You can call me TC

I gave up when they were happily swigging beersmiley - ale in a world that could only grow maize. And how come fuel for vehicles was no problem? They even had some spare to start fires.

Post 7318

Ethanol! You can make it form corn. Maybe beer can be made form corn, too. With whatever biodiversity is left, there must have been other foods that could be grown without a blight. Or, scientists could tinker with the genes. There are blight-resistant elms, chestnuts, etc. Why not wheat?

Post 7319

You can call me TC

As I understood it, wheat and other grains were extinct, and the technology for developing stuff with genetic engineering was also no longer available. That was a very contrived plot point.

Post 7320

Very contrived indeed. There were more than 1,308 strains of wheat in 1974/5. All of them extinct? That seems unlikely.

Key: Complain about this post