A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9901

Baron Grim

Side note, NaJoPoMo pushed this thread five pages back on my Convo list.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9902

You can call me TC

That is amazing about the natives speaking English. It must be where the idea of Star Trek originated. Everywhere they go, the natives all speak the same language. At least Douglas explained it with the Babel fish in his story.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9903

ITIWBS

http://mayflowerhistory.com/tisquantum/

LessUsed Facts

Post 9904

Baron Grim

Excellent article. smiley - ok

>On March 16, they got a surprise: an Indian named Samoset walked right into the Colony and welcomed them in broken English. Samoset was from an Indian group in Maine, and had picked up a few English words from the fisherman that came into the harbors there. He informed them there was an Indian, Tisquantum, who had been to England and could speak better English than he could.<

LessUsed Facts

Post 9905

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

The smallest palindromes of lengths 21 and 23 in two different bases are 5401334041404331058 and 89403957605050675930498 in decimal (and different but palindromic in base 11).

LessUsed Facts

Post 9906

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Typo. 854013340414043310458.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9907

You can call me TC

smiley - petunias

LessUsed Facts

Post 9908

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

^^

That's clever. smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

LessUsed Facts

Post 9909

ITIWBS

The worlds single most popular fruit for eating out of hand is the orange.

Grapes miss taking the top honors since despite a larger agro production, many grapes are cultivated exclusively for wine.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9910

Baron Grim

There is some discussion about which came first; orange the colour or orange the fruit, linguistically.

The fruit's name was the precedent. The English term came from either the French "pomme d'orenge" or mor likely the Spanish "naranja", which itself came from the Arabic "naaranj".

The 'n' likely was transferred to the

LessUsed Facts

Post 9911

Baron Grim

...indefinite article, as per 'apron' and 'adder', originally 'napron' and 'nadder'

Damnit! Perview is my fiend!

LessUsed Facts

Post 9912

ITIWBS

...'perview' is always chancy on Pliny, throws away one's copy more often than not...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9913

Baron Grim

I was in Ripley, but I was using my tablet on a sketchy WiFi connection.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9914

ITIWBS

I can usualy recover my copy in that kind of case, if its merely the connection having dropped.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9915

Baron Grim

I've lost my post just by switching tabs in Chrome on my tablet.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9916

ITIWBS

42isms,

The number of Tom Corbett's training squad from "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" is '42 D'.

The 42nd hexagram of the "I Ching", is 'I' or 'Increase'.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9917

ITIWBS

Donald Duck's middle name is "Fauntleroy".

Daffy Duck's middle names include "Dumas, Horatio Tiberius, Sheldon, Armando" and the initials "O." and "J.".

LessUsed Facts

Post 9918

Baron Grim

smiley - smiley

LessUsed Facts

Post 9919

Baron Grim

You only need 39 digits of Pi to calculate the circumference of the known universe to within the diameter of a single hydrogen atom.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/how-many-digits-of-pi-do-we-really-need/

LessUsed Facts

Post 9920

ITIWBS

How about to calculate the diameter of the universe to within the diameter of the elementary quantum, treating the elementary quantum as a discrete particle, the vacuum field, space itself, as a quantum gaseous medium composed of elementary quanta?

The elementary quantum equivalency of the hydrogen atom or the neutron, both of which can be treated as lower density bubbles in a higher density medium, is a mole of elementary quanta.

Key: Complain about this post