A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9861

Baron Grim

Oh, guacamole made from fresh avocados is absolutely delicious. My sister had an aversion to it when we were kids just because it's green. I finally convinced her to have a taste. I instantly regretted it as I never again got her serving and often had to guard my serving.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9862

ITIWBS

Sexing avocados.

The avocado is a dioecious tree. Male and female flowers are on separate plants.

The male avocado seed occurs in smaller proportion than the female and is usually markedly smaller than the more robust female seed.

The flavor of the male avocado is stronger and gamier than the female.

This is actually due to androgen profactors.

I hated avocado the first time I tried one.

I quickly acquired the taste, not least on account of having an extraordinily robust female and a rather spindly male in the back yard.

I often sliver the half avocado into quarter inch slivers, making quarter inch cuts lengthwise and cross wise, then scoop it out of the hull with a large spoon for a cold topping on a hot stew.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9863

Pink Paisley

I started off SO unlikely that nothing would have made it MORE unlikely.

PP.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9864

ITIWBS

Seemed to me that useless facts was an appropriate thread for remaks on avocado gender.

This is not, by the by, a put on.

There isn't, so far as I know any practical way of telling the two genders apart at the green grocers stall, though one can distinguish between them without cutting by means of a specific gravity test or an ultrasound test.

There are probably also ways of doing it on a basis of scent though I doubt many human beings have a sense of smell sensitive enough.

Finally, the point of androgen profactors in the male avocado, something most people can readily taste, may account for the Aztec or Nahuatl name.

Rather gamy flavored, like a buck season haunch of venison, though not quite that strong.

I always plant my avocado seeds.

Eventually I may get some that can survive the local summer.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9865

ITIWBS

Seemed to me that useless facts was an appropriate thread for remaks on avocado gender.

This is not, by the by, a put on.

There isn't, so far as I know any practical way of telling the two genders apart at the green grocers stall, though one can distinguish between them without cutting by means of a specific gravity test or an ultrasound test.

There are probably also ways of doing it on a basis of scent though I doubt many human beings have a sense of smell sensitive enough.

Finally, the point of androgen profactors in the male avocado, something most people can readily taste, may account for the Aztec or Nahuatl name.

Rather gamy flavored, like a buck season haunch of venison, though not quite that strong.

I always plant my avocado seeds.

Eventually I may get some that can survive the local summer.

Dried avocado is hard to find.

Climates hot and dry enough to allow of the fruit being dried successfully close enough to climate zones where the fruit trees do well to make drying avocado practical are moderately unusual.

Dried avocado is so rich in vitamin E oil it'll leave oily stains on one's fingers, strongly nutty, almost meaty flavor.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9866

Baron Grim

A single strand of spaghetti is a spaghetto.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9867

Vestboy

Would Queen Elizabeth II on her own be a Betto?
Just about the longest ruling Betto we've ever had.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9868

Baron Grim

smiley - huh

LessUsed Facts

Post 9869

Baron Grim

Anne Bancroft was only six years older than Dustin Hoffman in _The Graduate_.

(Indeed she was only six years older than Dustin Hoffman until 2005.)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9870

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

As my old friend the theatre director used to say, 'It's called acting.' smiley - laugh

LessUsed Facts

Post 9871

Vestboy

>>Baron Grim<< Elizabeth > Betty > Betti > Betto

LessUsed Facts

Post 9872

Baron Grim

Myeah... I still don't understand that post. smiley - shrug Oh well.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9873

Baron Grim

Oh, wait... nevermind. I forgot the context of my previous post.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9874

Baron Grim

Frank Zappa's album, _Jazz From Hell_ received a Parental Advisory sticker despite the fact that it is entirely instrumental.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center#Parental_Advisory_sticker

LessUsed Facts

Post 9875

ITIWBS

Green chili salsa;

http://www.google.com/search?q=green+salsa,+images&newwindow=1&client=tablet-android-verizon&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q7AlqFQoTCIWUm7P8-ccCFQZMkgodJTAG9Q&biw=962&bih=601

not to be confounded with guacamole;

http://www.google.com/search?q=guacamole%2C+images&oq=guacamole%2C+images&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.14201j0j4&client=tablet-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

is made by grating tomatillos;

http://www.google.com/search?q=tomatillo&newwindow=1&client=tablet-android-verizon&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDQQiR5qFQoTCP3Vwa_3-ccCFdKOkgod2qICqQ&biw=962&bih=601

and jalapeno chili peppers;

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&newwindow=1&client=tablet-android-verizon&biw=962&bih=601&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=jalapeno+chilies&oq=jalapeno+chilies&gs_l=tablet-gws.3..0j0i5i30j0i24.4930.10483.0.15850.5.5.0.0.0.0.225.1080.2-5.5.0....0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..0.5.1075.w9k3KS2CGls

together, with other herbs and spices added to taste, can be served fresh, can be made a base for green spaghetti or pizza sauce.

Kiwi fruit;

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&newwindow=1&client=tablet-android-verizon&biw=962&bih=601&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=kiwi+fruit&oq=kiwi+fruit&gs_l=tablet-gws.12..0l3.407638.416719.0.424032.25.11.0.5.5.0.243.1308.2-6.6.0....0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..15.10.1128.x4Fs8KDzjUQ

can be employed as an alternative or in addition to tomatillos.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9876

Baron Grim

As a Texan, this isn't just useful, it's common knowledge. I had some quite tasty green chili salsa yesterday.

I use tomatillos in my red salsa, I use about as many roma tomatoes as I use tomatillos. Since tomatillos are smaller than tomatoes it comes out mostly red. But then I also use a lot of cilantro so it's really more crimbo colored. smiley - xmastree

LessUsed Facts

Post 9877

ITIWBS

Ditto, common knowledge in California and along the entirety of the USA/Mexican border.

Superficially, a green salsa can be mistaken for a guacamole.

The first is usually hot with capsicin, the second, something cool that can be used to put out the fire, though there are people who like a hot guacamole or a cool green salsa.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9878

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

These facts are useless to me, as I do not eat salsa. smiley - tomato

More useless information:

The strength of hot peppers can be measured on the Scoville Scale, devised by Wilbur Scoville. The method was developed in 1912, using the Scoville Organoleptic Test.

All this does is use pepper testers, like wine tasters, only with a tolerance for hot peppers...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9879

Baron Grim

The area code in the Cape Canaveral area is 321.

Lift Off!

LessUsed Facts

Post 9880

Baron Grim

Damn... for got the smiley - tekcor

Key: Complain about this post