A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9841

Baron Grim

There is an antonym of sparkle.

darkle: 1. to grow dark, to become clouded or gloomy. 2. to become concealed in the dark.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9842

Vestboy

I darkle at physical activities

LessUsed Facts

Post 9843

Baron Grim

I look forward to this persistent high pressure zone over Texas to go away and give me the opportunity to use "darkling sky" in its proper context.

Oh, damn, that makes this a useful fact. smiley - facepalm

LessUsed Facts

Post 9844

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Not really. You mentioned Texas...smiley - run

LessUsed Facts

Post 9845

Baron Grim

BHAA... Why I oughta... smiley - runsmiley - tomatosmiley - tomatosmiley - tomato

LessUsed Facts

Post 9846

Heh-heh. *ducks*

Don't mind me - the Texas School Board is my nemesis. Talk about the eyes of Texas...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9847

Baron Grim

smiley - sigh Don't get me started on the Texas SBOE.

I was listening to NPR the other day and they actually had the temerity, or maybe the ignorance, to invite Don McLeroy, former chair and chief religious ideologue, on for a discussion regarding the current SBOE minimizing slavery and white supremacy as the leading cause of the Civil War. They tactfully skirted his past stance of supporting young earth creationism into our science books.

He's the star of the documentary, _The Revisionaries_.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/revisionaries/film.html

LessUsed Facts

Post 9848

smiley - rofl Oh, goody.

Fortunately, they don't actually write the course materials...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9849

Baron Grim

The "Golden Idol" that Indiana Jones removes from the altar in _Raiders of the Lost Ark_ depicts childbirth (there's a baby peeking out from the bottom). It was based on an Aztec Birthing Figure. (see link for images)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Idol

LessUsed Facts

Post 9850

Baron Grim

The revolving door was invented by a man who loathed hold doors open for others, especially women.

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/revolving-doors/

LessUsed Facts

Post 9851

Baron Grim

My brain was caught between using "to hold" and "holding" so it made me look like I'm illiterate instead. smiley - doh

Perv view is your fiend!

LessUsed Facts

Post 9852

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

smiley - yikes

Why, Baron Grim, I never!!

smiley - tongueoutsmiley - pirate

LessUsed Facts

Post 9853

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I knew a woman, several years ago, who strongly objected to the idea of a man opening a door for a woman. She equated it with the idea that a woman's hands were unclean and the men were somehow trying to protect themselves from contamination.

I know her family had a middle-eastern background - I do not know if this was a cultural idea, or just something she had decided for herself.

Personally I open doors for both women and men when it seems the polite thing to do. If I get to the door a few seconds before someone else it seems only proper not to try to barge in first, especially if they are carrying something. I try to always open the door for my wife, unless we are in the car and she does not want to wait for me to come around to her side. Just respect.

F smiley - dolphin S

LessUsed Facts

Post 9854

Baron Grim

I sympathize with the inventor. Quite often our cultural chivalry regarding holding doors is... annoying. Yeah, I hold the door for others*, regardless of sex. But I have practicle concerns when I decide to do so. It's quite simple. I estimate the approaching person's arrival at the door. If they will arrive after the door would have completely shut had I just walked through it and let go, I don't wait for them and hold it. If they are just inside that range, I'll hold it for them a few seconds. If they are right behind me, I just walk through the door and hold it open as I walk through it and let them catch the door behind me.

What really annoys me is people who stand at the door holding it open when I'm like ten or twenty steps away. This impels me to fast walk or jog to the door so they don't stand there longer than necessary.

It's passive aggression is what it is. If you keep your standard pace you seem like a self important dick.

And there is no way to tell a person holding a door too long to not bother. Inevitably, they won't understand what you're saying and will ask you to repeat what you said at which time you will have arrived at the door making your statement pointless.

*Nah... I lied earlier. I don't really hold doors open for people approaching from behind me.
I just toss the door wide as I walk through. If they catch it before it shuts, fine. If not, that's also fine.

I really appreciate rotating doors.

(Meeting someone coming from the other side of the door is even more problematic. If the door opens toward you then hold it and let the other through. If it opens away, let it go. Otherwise you partially block the opening. Your chivalry is now an impediment.)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9855

swl

I don't hold doors open because she may be a lady, I hold doors open because I am a gentleman.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9856

Baron Grim

So... How long do you hold open a door? How long is gentlemanly?

LessUsed Facts

Post 9857

Pink Paisley

What does a gentleman do when approaching a revolving door at the same time as a woman? Invite her to get in ahead and then spin the door for her?

This could be fun.......

PP.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9858

ITIWBS

I hold doors for a companion, irrespective of their gender, if I get to the door first.

I'm very inhibited about letting a door slam in someone's face, irrespective of whom.

I'll hold a door for anyone whose hands are full.

Some years back I had an encounter with an Islamic couple in the Palm Springs area (actually, La Quinta) some years back at a gas station.

As I entered, the woman was close behind me, I held the door thinking it would be rude to let it close in her face.

She, on the other hand was very inhibited about using a door held by a strange male.

Her husband came running up from behind he to take advntage of the door.

Realizing I was making them uncomfortable I let go after he entered and went quietly about my business.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9859

Baron Grim

The word avocado is derived from the Aztec word ahuácatl which means "testicle". Guacamole is also derived from aztec from a compound word from ahuácatl and molli which means "sauce".

So, guacamole literally translates as "testicle sauce".

Source: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/05/avocado-derives-from-a-word-meaning-testicle/

LessUsed Facts

Post 9860

Somehow this makes me even less likely to eat guacamole than I was before. smiley - winkeye

I'm not sure, but I think just about every noun in the Nahuatl language ends in 'atl'. Weird language.

Key: Complain about this post